Boys rugby looks to build on recent success with experienced seniors

By Michael Tierney, Business Manager

This fall, the boys’ rugby team won the Fall Sevens State Championship for the first time in program history. Coming off the win, the boys’ rugby team is looking to make a mark this spring. Twenty-two of the 40 players on the team are seniors this year, most of whom are returning members.

Led by senior and team captain Caius Michlitsch, the boys’ rugby team seeks to keep up its momentum from the fall season. Teams play spring rugby in a 15-player format, which differs from the 7-player format played in the fall. The group is making adjustments as needed.

While the boys came up short in the state playoffs the past two spring seasons, they hope to make a run for the state title with this year’s senior class and new head coach Arturo Bravo Nuevo.

Michlitsch looks forward to the spring season and is confident that the team’s new strategies will make a difference.

“I believe what’s going to separate us from the other teams this year is our more structured layout across the field. Everyone knows what their job is, and each and every player can get the job done successfully,” Michlitsch said.

Assistant coach Marsh Pennington has played rugby since he was 18 years old. He has been coaching Conestoga’s boys rugby for almost a decade and has a strong outlook on this year’s team due to its experience and senior players.

“We have a lot of experience on this squad (due to) a lot of senior leadership. These guys have been playing together since they were in middle school,” Pennington said. “We’re a pretty physical team. We’re going to try and play a very quick game of rugby. That’s our strength.”

Sophomore Dylan Hessels plays for the team and participated in the past Fall Sevens State Championship. He holds similar hopes for the new season.

“We feel a little pressure going into this season to back up our performance in the fall, but we look to feed off of it and turn it into motivation. I definitely have personal goals for this season, but winning matches comes first and as long as we’re doing that I’m happy,” Hessels said.

Michlitsch said that the group’s energy and enthusiasm entering the season make  the year unique. He believes that such an attitude is a key attribute of the boys’ success. Mitchlitsch is looking forward to seeing what is in store for the team this season.

“This is a club sport, so everyone who is here wants to be here, wants to thrive as a group and wants to win badly,” Michlitsch said. “This is a special group and I can’t wait to see what we can accomplish this season.”

Michael Tierney can be reached at [email protected].