Lighting the way: Community attends annual cancer research fundraiser

Editor’s Note: An old version of this article implied that Kathrin Isaacs’s daughter, Emilia, has since entered remission. Emilia Isaacs is currently diagnosed with b-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia.

By Jeffrey Heng and Juliana Yao, Staff Reporter and Co-Sports Editor

On Saturday, Oct. 7, members of the Chester County community gathered in Wilson Farm Park from 5-9 p.m. for the Chester County Light the Night event.

Light the Night is a series of fundraising campaigns hosted by The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society (LLS) to raise funds for LLS’ blood cancer cure research. Every year LLS holds evening walks across the nation, including one for Chester County located at Wilson Farm Park, featuring lanterns and a laser show. The walk’s purpose is to commemorate those who have or had lymphoma or leukemia, types of blood cancer, and to raise funds for LLS.

At the event, families, friends and sponsors tried on accessories offered at the stands, including light-up scrunchies and shoelaces, as well as headbands. There was also a remembrance tent for those wanting to write a displayed message in honor of a loved one lost to leukemia or lymphoma.

At 6:45 p.m., attendees assembled in front of the main stage to listen to the story of Kathrin Isaacs, whose daughter, Emilia was diagnosed with b-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia in 2021. Additionally, speakers announced the most significant individual and corporal donations that were raised before the event. Individuals Nicole Kine and Brian Kilroy and communities such as the Cory’s Crusaders and Team Tobon contributed the most money within their respective individual and community donation categories. 

Finally, survivors and supporters lit their lanterns and began their 1 1/2-mile walk around Wilson Farm Park. Each individual marched along the path with lanterns in hand, all in support of LLS and the battle against leukemia and lymphoma.

As the participants reunited at the main venue, a laser show accompanied by music served as the end to the event.

Light the Night 10/7/23

Jeffrey Heng can be reached at [email protected].

Juliana Yao can be reached at [email protected].