Girls squash falls short in 2024 U.S. High School Squash Championships 7-0

By Rowan Chetty and Lauren Pinheiro, Co-Multimedia Editor and Staff Reporter

On Friday, the girls’ squash team lost 7-0 to Greenwich Academy at the 2024 U.S. Squash High School Squash Championships in the Arlen Specter US Squash Center.

This year, the team was ranked Division 1, the highest division in the championship, and played the first seed team.

On the H. Chase Lenfest West Court, Valley Forge eighth grader and the team’s number one ranked player Fiza Khan faced Greenwich player Elle Graziano. Khan lost 11-9 in the first game and 11-5 in the second. She came up short during a tiebreak in the third, losing the game 12-10 and the match 3-0.

Following Khan, senior and captain Abigail Bagby played Greenwich player Anniston Mahaffy, losing her match 3-0. The last game on the M. Chase Lenfest West Court was between freshman Shania Li and Greenwich player Charlotte Tompkins, which ended with a 3-0 match loss for the team.

On Court 5, sophomore Noe Rowe, junior Raima Saha, Valley Forge eighth grader Emily He and freshman Lizzie Brooks all put up a few points against their opponents but ultimately lost their matches. Greenwich Academy ended with an overall match score of 7-0.

The girls will continue to play consolation matches this evening, on Saturday, Feb. 24 and on Sunday, Feb. 25.

Check out some photos from the game below!

squash nationals 2/23/24

Rowan Chetty can be reached at [email protected].

Lauren Pinheiro can be reached at [email protected].