Black Student Union hosts annual Fall Gathering

Brief by Emily Scheer and Emily Wang, Staff Reporters

Photos by Emily Wang, Staff Reporter

On Thursday, Oct. 26, the Black Student Union (BSU) hosted the Fall Gathering at Conestoga to celebrate the diverse cultures throughout the T/E community.

This year, BSU focused on a theme of allyship and sent out personal invitations to the Asian American Culture Club (AACC), Gender/Sexuality Alliance, Multicultural Club and Hispanic/Latino Culture Club. BSU encouraged attendees to bring a traditional dish and present a cultural talent at the event as well.

“The purpose is to just unite (school) clubs around the campus over dinner, fun and entertainment,” said BSU adviser Christopher Brown. “It gives students the opportunity to showcase their talent. It gives (them) opportunity to be able to (create) fellowship and play games and be able to share diverse food from different cultures.”

The event opened with junior and BSU member Alexis Allen reading a poem and Brown giving a speech. BSU then invited guests to try the different foods and drinks brought by members of BSU and the other clubs. 

Freshman and AACC member Leo Yang was the only performer of the night and played an erhu, a traditional Chinese two-stringed bowed musical instrument, while the guests ate dinner. Following dinner, guests could participate in decorating pumpkins, playing board games and dancing, including the Cha Cha Slide and the Cupid Shuffle.

“When I first got to Conestoga in my sophomore year, I needed a place to go, and I feel like the BSU is kind of like my family,” said senior and BSU president Zion Puryear. “(BSU) means a lot to me because I don’t know where I would be without all these people.”

BSU Fall Gathering 10/26/23

Emily Scheer can be reached [email protected].

Emily Wang can be reached at [email protected].