The SPORK: Takumi Bistro and Bar

Hannah Simon / The SPOKE

By Hannah Simon, Co-Copy Editor

Takumi is a Japanese word meaning “artisan,” and at Takumi Bistro & Bar in Wayne, the restaurant’s name matches the food’s quality.

Dark paneling and leather booths covered the restraunt from floor to ceiling. Artificial orange roses deck the interior walls and wood-toned decor and organic-form light fixtures further create a warm ambiance for customers. A youthful soundtrack nicely offsets the atmosphere, and the menu, featuring modern Japanese-inspired dishes, boasts a one-of-a-kind sushi and cocktail selection that complements the restaurant’s upscale verve.

I began my meal with a comforting twist on a traditional favorite: spicy edamame. A $7 bite-sized, snappy treat, the edamame packed a punch. My taste buds wanted more, so we ordered the $12 jalapeño wings. Dipped in a cumin seasoning and deep-fried, the five golden brown wings arrived with a slice of jalapeño on the top to make for a flaky, spicy appetizer.

I opted for the wagyu fried rice for my entrée and was excited to see what its $40 price tag had in store. A visual stunner, the dish was in a beautiful, gold-and-blue marbled bowl — with matching oversized silverware at the side — and garnished with an herb sprig. Featuring a medley of A-5 wagyu, asparagus, corn, egg and scallion, each bite brimmed with texture and a sweet flavor from the vegetables that grounded the tender wagyu.

Chicken teriyaki was next. Another staple perfectly executed at $23, its mushroom, asparagus, bell pepper and teriyaki glaze worked harmoniously to create a refreshingly tangy yet filling meal — not to mention its gorgeous appearance when arriving at our table.

Fresh, tasty and affordable, the $8 California roll and $9 spicy crunch tuna roll were great options fit for sharing among three, as the rolls were quite large. Their organized and creative presentation, like many of the other dishes at Takumi, received my compliments.

The atmosphere at Takumi conveys a refined warmth. A couple sat at the bar and chatted about their days, friends from work laughed over drinks, and the staff was cheerful, attentive and more than knowledgeable about the menu. Although on the pricier side, Takumi is a combination of culture and expertise and a perfect place for a dressier night out.

Hannah Simon can be reached at [email protected].