The SPORK: EmJ’s Cafe

George Zhang

By George Zhang, Co-Director of Staff Development

Who doesn’t love brunch? This classic weekend meal allows foodies to wake up late, consume pancakes at noon and save a whole meal’s worth of calories for those who are counting. EmJ’s Cafe, located along Lancaster Road, provides a nice option to do so.

I went to the cafe on a Friday morning, thanks to a teacher in-service day, with an empty stomach and a heart full of hope. I had a grueling basketball workout the night before and was craving some good grub. Walking into the cafe, the first thing I noticed was its cozy and quaint interior, perfect for a chill start to the day.

Flipping through the menu, I noticed a large selection of dishes. There were eggs cooked in every way possible, breakfast platters with different types of meat, pancakes and sandwiches.

Some dishes had peculiar names such as The Hangover, a concoction of scrambled eggs, cheese, onions, bacon and potatoes served on a long roll. It was my first selection as the morning sure felt like one — not from consuming alcohol, don’t worry. I also ended up ordering a smoked salmon platter and cinnamon roll pancakes to satisfy my sweet tooth.

The Hangover came in at $10 and appeared a little underwhelming at first glance. With a title sharing the name of my favorite Mike Tyson movie, I had high expectations. However, once I took a bite, I understood the meaning of the name. The warm interior of eggs and potatoes and the soft exterior of the long roll gave me a sense of comfort while eating. The dish would be a perfect comfort food, no matter how bad the night before was.

The cinnamon roll pancakes also came in at $10 and were well worth their price. Both pancakes were extremely fluffy and melted in my mouth. However, diners beware: This dish will fill up your stomach substantially.

Finally, my main course: the smoked salmon platter. Coming in at $16, the platter appeared a bit unusual to me. The plate consisted of an everything bagel with cream cheese, sliced salmon, onions, capers, tomatoes and a hard-boiled egg on the side. I suppose it was a do-it-yourself concept in which customers would mix the elements into one savory bite — at least that’s what I did.

Overall, I had an incredible experience brunching at EmJ’s Cafe. The service was friendly, the environment was cozy and the food was delicious. If you ever sleep past breakfast by accident, had a rough night or simply want to enjoy a nice meal, you should consider stopping by EmJ’s Cafe. You won’t regret it.

George Zhang can be reached at [email protected].