Seniors fundraise for CHOP

By Bailey Kreszswick, Staff Reporter

Community members can donate, run or walk on Nov. 5 to support the Helping Hearts Club, the Pierce twins and brain tumor research at The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP).

One year ago, senior Dylan Pierce had a tumor that had developed in his brain that was surgically-removed at CHOP. Since then, students in the Helping Hearts Club, Dylan Pierce, his twin sister Angela Pierce and their parents have been organizing the “Ginja Ninja” 5K to raise funds and spread awareness for those in similar situations.

“I wanted to take my negative situation, which was brain surgery last year, and make it into a positive situation by organizing (and) managing a 5K and fundraiser, as well as getting to have some fun with some people to support the same cause,” Dylan Pierce said.

In 2021, seniors Grace Kuryan and Alice Richards founded the Helping Hearts Club to fundraise for CHOP. Since last year, it undertook one of its biggest projects: the 5K.

Alongside the Pierce twins, the Helping Hearts Club has been planning this event for five months. Club members reached out to Dick’s Sporting Goods, FC Europa and Wawa to gain their support. They also reached out to Conestoga sports teams and captains to gain more participants.

“We’re trying to get as many people as we can. Even if people don’t want to run, they can just walk or even hang out. We just want to have a big turnout,” Angela Pierce said.

Students can sign up by scanning a QR code posted around the school or posted on the Helping Hearts Instagram. Everyone who signed up before Oct. 15 will receive a free T-shirt at the event.

“You’re not just donating, you’re paying to go with some friends to run and race your competitiveness. The money they’re giving is not only supporting CHOP, but it’s also supporting this event, which we’re organizing to have some fun,” Dylan Pierce said.

The twins aim to raise $20,000. The Helping Hearts Club and Pierce twins wish to gain support from the local community and school to give back to tumor research at CHOP, and raise awareness for patients like Dylan Pierce.

Bailey Kreszswick can be reached at [email protected].