From tee to triumph: Girls golf dominates season

By Michael Tierney, Business Manager

This season, the girls’ golf team swung its way into the spotlight. Senior and captain Brynne Mushlin led the team to not only clinch the Central League Championship, but also the team’s first-ever PIAA District 1 title. With these accomplishments, the team represented Conestoga at the PIAA Golf State Championships on Wednesday, Oct. 18.

Despite it being only 3 years old, the team is performing exceptionally. With a 8-1 record, it won the Central League. From there, it won the district championship, earning a ticket to the state championships. 

The format of high school team golf is different than that of the Professional Golf Association Tour. Teams consist of around eight players, but only the three or four lowest scores count, depending on the size of the school it competes against. The team with the lowest combined score takes home the victory.

Mushlin is proud of the team’s accomplishments this year, considering the competition and relatively young age of the program.

“Winning the district was one of the biggest accomplishments of our program since the start,” Mushlin said. “This year we have a lot of depth, which other teams lacked. This means most of our team is able to put up low scores. We have an extremely talented team this year and we are all excited to win the district and go to states.”

Freshman Jillian Burks emphasized that the team’s success on the golf course is not just about the numbers, but about the camaraderie among teammates. Even as a first-year, she said that she felt welcomed to the team right away.

“As a freshman, I befriended the upperclassmen who were supportive of me on and off the course. Golf is an individual sport, but our team was truly a family this year,” Burks said.

Coach James Moran is proud of the girls for their accomplishments this season.

“It’s been a really cool experience to see how far the program has come in three years,” Moran said. “The girls performed very well throughout the season and we’re hoping to be back at states next year again.”

At the state championships, the team placed third overall, with Mushlin and Burks placing 26th and 16th, respectively. According to Mushlin, the team’s record- breaking accomplishments this season speak for themselves and demonstrate the bright future of the program.

“I am really lucky to play on such an amazing team,” Mushlin said. “Going to states my senior year was a dream come true and I know that after I graduate, the team will be in good hands.”

Michael Tierney can be reached at [email protected].