Sailing team finishes record-breaking season

By Louisa Sandorff and Sosi Sengal, Staff Reporters

Riding the waves of the Delaware River, the Conestoga sailing team has swiftly conquered waters and opponents alike.

Established in 2011, Conestoga’s sailing team has become one of the top teams in Pennsylvania. Competing in the Main Line Scholastic Sailing Association (MLSSA) and the Interscholastic Sailing Association, the co-ed team won several regattas against public and private schools.

Coached by Conrad Volle and Julia Williams-Portland, the team practices twice a week at Corinthian Yacht Club on the waters of the Delaware River. During practice, the team holds meetings, runs drills and practices to prepare for competitions.

In 2022, the team completed one of its most successful seasons, winning its fourth consecutive MLSSA Bell Cup and qualifying for the Mallory Cup, a prestigious sailing competition, for the first time.

“I would consider us very successful. We are four-time MLSSA champions. We have won those four times in a row these past few years and those are all up against really good schools, both private and public,” said sophomore Piper Jackson, who has been on Conestoga’s team for two years now.

According to senior and captain Bella Cremer, the team’s talent does not stop with the upperclassmen. She said that not only the underclassmen, but the incoming high schoolers as well bring a lot to the team.

“I think we have a lot of talent. We have people that have been sailing their whole lives, and people who we get to teach sailing for the first time,” Cremer said.

The team has only nine representatives out on the water. It is always looking for new recruits, no matter previous skill level. The team helps new sailors learn the ropes and assists them in improving their skills. Sophomore Henry DeHart said that the team’s bond helps the sailers out on the water.

“We bond a lot during carpool and practices,” DeHart said. “We hang out between races and see each other at ceremonies and parties.”

DeHart said that the team’s  bond enables the sailers to work together effectively. Through bonding events and team dinners, the sailors have developed a strong connection that Jackson feels contributes to their success.

“I think the thing that makes us so successful is mostly the teamwork,”  Jackson said. “We’re such a small team so we’re very tight knit. I think it’s so key to work together as one.”

Louisa Sandorff can be reached at [email protected].

Sosi Sengal can be reached at [email protected].