Hope4Hoey initiative rallies support for Conestoga alumnus

By Abigail Bagby, Co-Managing Editor

Music, laughter and conversation filled the air of Berwyn’s Boulder Lane cul-de-sac on Oct. 8 at the Hope4Hoey cornhole tournament. The event garnered more than 200 attendees in support of Patrick Hoey, a 2021 Conestoga graduate recovering from a C5 spinal cord injury.

On July 29, Hoey dove into Keuka Lake while vacationing in New York and fractured his C5 vertebrae. Paralyzed, Hoey was immediately transported to Strong Memorial Hospital in Rochester, New York for emergency surgery. He has since begun the recovery process to regain functional mobility.

Hoey’s family has adapted their home to increase handicap accessibility upon his return from the hospital through ramp installations, bedroom modifications and bathroom renovations. Hoey’s injury created a need for moral and financial support for him and his family, inspiring the Hope4Hoey initiative.

“Fundraising is definitely a top priority,” said junior Ashley Hoey, sister of Patrick Hoey. “But also to educate other people about what a spinal cord injury is and the recovery from one.”

The initiative offers a donation page through social media, which has raised more than $45,000 thus far. Additionally, Hope4Hoey has hosted several community outreach events, including T-shirt and bracelet sales at the Berwyn Farmers Market and a Conestoga football game. The most recent cornhole tournament offered food, merchandise, games and a lively atmosphere to welcome Patrick Hoey home from the hospital.

“I haven’t been home since July, so it’s amazing to see the love and support from everyone pouring in upon my return home,” Patrick Hoey said. “I love my family and friends so much, so I’m glad to be back with them at home.”

Ashley Hoey is appreciative of the community’s support, and feels that it has eased the impacts of Patrick’s injury on the family.

“The community is amazing. It has made everything so so so much better,” Ashley Hoey said. “All of Patrick’s friends come by, and they just say, ‘We love you, we’re thinking about you.’ So many people told me that they’ve been praying. It really takes a community to make a difference. Community is just everything to us.”

Patrick Hoey said that he feels similarly regarding the support of family and friends and is empowered to continue his recovery journey.

“The community has made me feel as though it’s still possible to continue with life after an injury of this magnitude,” Patrick Hoey said. “Just recently at the cornhole tournament, seeing everybody made me feel like a celebrity. But more importantly, it made me feel immersed in the community that I love.”

Going forward, Patrick Hoey wants those supporting him to know that he will continue working toward his recovery despite the challenges that lie ahead.

“Job’s not finished,” Hoey said. “I’m putting in the work and appreciate the prayers, and I promise I won’t quit.”

Abigail Bagby can be reached at [email protected].