SEPTA plans bus route overhaul

By Rowan Chetty, Co-Multimedia Editor

Since 1964, SEPTA bus routes largely remained the same. Now,  to increase ridership and efficiency, SEPTA is enacting several changes in a plan known as the Bus Revolution.

SEPTA began drafting the plan approximately two years ago, with full implementation expected by early to mid 2024. SEPTA put this project into action to address the decline in bus ridership in the years leading up to the pandemic.

“We haven’t redesigned the bus network in six decades,” said SEPTA Public Information Manager John Golden. “When the bus network as we know it was implemented, it was all based on old trolley routes, and so we decided to do (these improvements) based on customer feedback and (to) just (make) the system much more reliable.”

SEPTA plans to streamline its routes by adding more frequent stops in high demand areas so that buses will pick up passengers every 15 minutes at these locations. It plans to add 10 more of these frequent stops to Philadelphia and the surrounding area’s routes.

“We estimate an additional 1.1 million people throughout the entire Philadelphia network will be within a 10-minute walk of a frequent bus service,” Golden said. “To illustrate it, more than 99% of bus riders within a five-minute walk of a bus route will still be within a five-minute walk of a bus route.”

While SEPTA aims to add more consistency to popular routes, some of the older routes that have low ridership will be removed. To streamline routes and create a more reliable system for passengers, SEPTA plans to decrease the total number of routes from 125 to 106. Sophomore Daniel Loza, who often rides SEPTA buses, has experienced some of the current inconsistencies in the bus schedules.

“Often (SEPTA buses) are really delayed, and sometimes they just don’t come and they don’t tell you it’s canceled,” Loza said. “It is a bit frustrating sometimes.”

Although minimal route changes are planned for the T/E area, SEPTA expects passengers to experience an improvement in service. Loza look forward to the changes.

“I don’t have a car,” Loza said. “So if I need to get somewhere, then I can do it without my parents driving me or relying on anyone else.”

Rowan Chetty can be reached at [email protected].