Cabrini closes, to be bought by Villanova

By Aren Framil, Co-News Editor

Cabrini University celebrated 66 years of graduate and undergraduate studies on June 6. Later that month, University president Helen Drinan formally announced the university’s imminent closure and Villanova University’s interest in purchasing its campus.

Due to declining enrollment and budget deficits in 2021, Cabrini eliminated almost 50 teaching and staff positions along with around one-fourth of its student programs. In 2022, Cabrini announced its search for a partner school. Now, the lack of funding and student interest has led to the complete closure of the university.

A joint statement between Peter Donohue, the president of Villanova, and Drinan formally announced the imminent discontinuation of operations at Cabrini. They attributed Cabrini’s closure to “declining enrollment, the pandemic, and economic uncertainty.” The statement also highlighted Cabrini’s interest in preserving its name and legacy after Villanova’s purchase.

“Despite efforts to improve revenue streams, and changes to the leadership and academic ranks, Cabrini’s operating deficit remained insurmountable,” Donohue and Drinan wrote. “With all other possible options exhausted and having determined that they must conclude their operations, Cabrini University initiated discussions with Villanova around a plan that would preserve Cabrini’s legacy and mission and honor the original intention for the Cabrini campus to promote opportunities in Catholic education.”

The current discussions around the purchase hint toward preserving Cabrini’s name even after Villanova acquires the school and offering some of the same courses currently offered. Conestoga art teacher Leanne Argonish, who earned her master’s of education at Cabrini, says the closure did not come as a surprise, but she is hopeful for Cabrini’s future.

“I talked to a (Cabrini) Division 3 coach with my daughter, and the coach was talking about how Cabrini was possibly closing,” Argonish said. “The idea of Villanova taking them over because they were failing financially (is) a great idea.”

The Cabrini Class of 2024 will graduate in May as planned, but all other students will have to transfer to other universities. Nearby Catholic universities, including Immaculata, La Salle and St. Joseph’s, voiced their support for the students and staff online, many with offerings of expedited transfer processes for current Cabrini students.

Cabrini formally entered agreements with Gwynedd Mercy, Eastern and Holy Family universities for an easy transfer of its students. Still, the closure was a blow to current students and alumni alike, as Cabrini had previously announced plans to merge with another school in order to resolve its financial issues.

“Immaculata jumped right on social media (saying) ‘If you’re (at Cabrini), come here.’ and I think that was great for them,” Argonish said. “I do feel bad for those who committed to Cabrini, especially as freshmen and sophomores. Kids wanted to go there.”

Aren Framil can be reached at [email protected].