Freshman opens bike repair business, Dom Fixes Bikes

By Rowan Chetty and Shreya Vaidhyanathan, Co-Multimedia Editor and Co-Managing Editor

Freshman Dom Pecora was 10 years old when he launched an aptly-named bike repair business: Dom Fixes Bikes. Since then, Pecora has transformed his company into a 501(c)(3) nonprofit and leased a space in Malvern.

The company’s mission is “to give a bike to anyone who shares his passion regardless of age, race, gender, or ability.” Since its inception in 2020, the business has increased its bike donations, using its revenue to donate bikes. Pecora’s initiative began after seting an arbitrary goal of donating 100 bikes per year.

“My mom asked how many bikes I wanted to donate, (and I said), ‘How about 25?’ And I was like, ‘How about 100?’” Pecora said.

On Sept. 16, Dom Fixes Bikes hosted a grand opening, featuring live music,  food and an appearance from the Phillies mascot, Phillie Phanatic. Pennsylvania State Rep. Melissa Shusterman presented Pecora with a Certificate of Congratulations on the day.

“One thing I took away from (Dom’s) work is he really just pursued something he loves, and with pursuing what he loved he started reaching out to help people,” said Shusterman in her speech during the event.

Dom’s mother, Karen Pecora, assists her son by handling legal contracts and giving her opinion on certain ideas. For the most part, though, Dom makes all the decisions regarding the shop.

“All of us, from a family standpoint, never envisioned us owning a bike shop, so because this is Dom’s dream, we don’t need to override his decisions,” Karen Pecora said. “The business is all about him. His mission is all about everybody else.”

Frankie Piccoli, who works as a mechanic for Dom Fixes Bikes, balances his work at a local auto shop with that at  Pecora’s business, which includes fixings bikes and  assisting customers.

“My favorite part is really just seeing Dom succeeding and seeing his business grow,” Piccoli said. “I think if he keeps going the next few years, he (could) expand the size of the shop, and then hopefully, he’ll just gain loyal customers over time.”

For Pecora, “knowing that 36 kids in Africa will have bikes” is why the business is valuable. Looking forward, he wants to open two more locations and expand his donation platform.

“I keep using the word surreal,” Pecora said. “Seeing everyone support me is amazing.”

Shreya Vaidhyanathan can be reached at [email protected].