Boys basketball routs Haverford, moves up in Central League

Article by Rohan Gandhi, Guest Reporter
Photos by Andy Backstrom, Co-Editor-in-Chief

The Conestoga boys’ basketball team defeated the Haverford Fords 62-42 on Thursday, Jan. 14 to maintain their strong position in the Central League race.

The Pioneers carried their momentum over from their previous game and started off with an 11-4 run in the opening moments. The Haverford offense took its time to get going but managed to close the Pioneer lead to 15-13 at the end of the first quarter. However, that was the closest sniff of victory the Fords would get as the Pioneers played progressively better throughout the night. The Pioneer defense stepped up in a fast paced second quarter to build an eight point lead of 31-23 at the half.

The team played dynamically the entire night and it showed on the court. Senior Darryl Caldwell distributed the ball well throughout the game and outsmarted the Haverford defense. Junior Angus Mayock played lights out on defense and had a highlight reel rejection midway through the third quarter. Senior Andrew Larkin had a stellar shooting performance, sinking nine field goals for 23 points on the night.

The second string team continued to score on Haverford and held the ball to walk off with a 62-42 victory. The Pioneers improved their record to 11-3 on the season, going 8-2 in the Central League.

The Pioneers have a game at Philadelphia University on Saturday and a home game against Ridley on Wednesday, Jan. 20 at 5 p.m. The Pioneers will have a chance to take down the Raiders who are currently undefeated in the Central League.

Photos

[unitegallery haverfordbball]