From the Editor: Goodbye and good luck

Mary Wolters / The SPOKE

By Ben Shapiro, Editor-in-Chief

Dear readers,

It feels like just yesterday that I stepped into the role of Editor-in-Chief of The Spoke, just last week that I jumped with joy as I learned that I was going to join the Editorial Board as a Copy Editor, just last month that I entered The Spoke’s newsroom for the first time. But like those who came before me, my tenure is quickly coming to a close.

My time at The Spoke was marked by new beginnings: I welcomed three new faculty advisers, more than 60 staff members and too many publication policies to count. I started writing with a purpose and learned to love journalism. I found my home in Conestoga and my passion for reporting the news that I will take with me to college and beyond.

Navigating the ever-changing landscape of student media has been both a huge privilege and a daunting responsibility. From late nights cooped up in the production room running on nothing but pizza and Oreos to seemingly never-ending deadlines, I poured every waking moment of my high school career into every interview, every article, every issue of The Spoke.

Amidst the chaos, one thing remained constant: our commitment to truth, integrity, transparency and excellence. As I pass the torch to the next generation of student journalists, I have an overwhelming sense of pride and awe. But I’ll admit, I’m nervous for the future.

I’m nervous about the state of the journalism industry and the lack of public trust in the media.  I’m nervous about the relentless attempts — even at The Spoke, even this issue — to block student journalists from reporting the news and making the editorial
decisions they see fit. And I’m nervous about the constant, undemocratic and unconstitutional censorship that student journalists across the country are fighting every day.

Despite these challenges, I am confident that future generations of student journalists at The Spoke will continue to unbiasedly, ethically and responsibly report the news. Thus, it is with great honor and excitement that I welcome incoming Editors-in-Chief Aren Framil and Howard Kim to lead The Spoke’s 75th Editorial Board. Their passion, dedication and vision will undoubtedly shape the future of The Spoke and maintain its high standard as the paper of record for the Tredyffrin/Easttown community.

To the entire Spoke family — staff members, editors and advisers past and present — thank you for your support, both professionally and personally. To The Spoke’s advertisers, thank you for trusting and partnering with us — your financial contributions are invaluable. To our readers, thank you for providing us with a platform to publish the news. Without you, we would have no newspaper.

It has been an honor and a privilege to serve as The Spoke’s Editor-in-Chief. The lessons I have learned and the memories I have made throughout my four years on this newspaper’s staff have been some of the best and most valuable of my life.

For one last time, thank you.

Sincerely,
Ben Shapiro

Ben Shapiro can be reached at [email protected].