Latino Cultural Club hosts first Hispanic/Latino Heritage Night

By Faith Zantua and Mareska Chettiar, Co-Copy Editor and Photography Editor

Lively music, colorful decorations and laughter filled the cafeteria on Thursday, Oct. 12. Latino Cultural Club hosted the first Hispanic/Latino Heritage Night with support from Dr. Oscar Torres, Director of Equity and Public Programs, to celebrate Hispanic and Latino cultures.

“There’s a lot of people at school that just don’t feel welcomed and feel like they have to lie just to fit in (to) the school because it’s a very white society,” said junior Maryoire Urbina, member of the Latino Culture Club. “But we want to show that you don’t have to hide anymore, that you are welcome and that there’s so many people here supporting you.”

At the event, traditional music played in the background as decorations and posters hung around the cafeteria illustrating cultural aspects in Hispanic and Latino communities. The club, alongside Hispanic and Latino families, provided traditional food such as empanadas, slices of tres leches cake and churros.

Peer Mediation volunteers also hosted face painting and bracelet making. Later in the night, Latino Cultural Club members taught attendees how to dance the salsa and samba before opening up the floor to other forms of dance.

The club plans to continue hosting events similar to the Hispanic/Latino Heritage Night in the future. Senior and member of the Latino Club Marianna Pérez originally brought up the idea of the event to Torres and hopes that it will occur annually. 

“When I moved here, I felt like I really didn’t find my sense of belonging,” Pérez said. “And doing these types of events, like having this music (and) this food, really fulfills me and makes me really proud of my heritage and my culture.”

Latino/Hispanic Heritage Night 10/12/23

Faith Zantua can be reached at [email protected].

Mareska Chettiar can be reached at [email protected].