Working the catwalk: student models hit the runway

By Aditi Dahagam and Julia Harris, Staff Reporters

With butterflies in her stomach and adrenaline rushing through her veins, senior Ellena Hocevar strutted down the runway at the Lord and Taylor Fashion Show held in Philadelphia this past March. This event helped her realize how much she loved modeling, making it one of her most valuable memories. 

Hocevar began modeling when she was 15 years old and currently models with W Talent Management in New York City.

“I sort of fell in love with (modeling) as I went because I’ve always enjoyed being behind the camera and on camera and getting to test out new fashions and styles,” Hocevar said. 

Although Hocevar has a difficult school load and plays varsity soccer on top of modeling, she continues to model.

“I would never want to quit. I would just find ways to manage my time around that (modeling). I feel like modeling is how I express myself and a way that I can be bold and stand out,” Hocevar said. 

Hocevar began with shoots on the smaller side but hopes to branch out and work with bigger companies such as American Eagle. Modeling has also helped Hocevar grow as a person. 

“I’ve matured a lot. I like learning new things, and I branched out a lot more. I’ve also become more confident with myself,” Hocevar said. 

Like Hocevar, sophomore Kaitlin Campbell started modeling after she began taking acting classes. She currently models for I.T.S. Models and Talent in Lancaster and MMG Model, Talent and Celebrity Management in New York. 

Campbell mentioned that working with the photographers is one of her favorite parts of modeling. The photographers are always energetic and get her excited for the photo shoots. 

“The photographers in print especially like to dance, actually,” Campbell said. “It sounds weird, but they like to have fun, and if that means embarrass themselves a little, they will.”