Day 1: News Quiz

By Evan Lu, Co-Editor-in-Chief, and Alex Carder, Ryan Ding, and Eva Kennedy, Staff Reporters

Test your newsy know-how on Day 1 of The 12 Days of Spoke by answering the local news questions below. Are you a connoisseur of information? A master of gossip? A lord of tea? Find out below and see how you do — answers listed at the bottom!

Longtime Conestoga English teacher and Spoke adviser Cyndi Hyatt retired last week. What is the name of the teacher newly hired as her replacement?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Hyatt retired in December after teaching English and theater courses at Conestoga for nearly two decades. Roberts, previously an educator within the Philadelphia School District, now teaches Writer’s Craft and serves as adviser to the Annenberg Medical Research Symposium.

Alysa Bainbridge, a graduate student at Cabrini University and Miss Pennsylvania 2022, will compete on Dec. 15 for the 2023 Miss America Competition. Which Pennsylvania high school did Banbridge attend?

Correct Answer: Schuylkill Valley High School

Bainbridge is a current graduate student working toward her Master of Science in Leadership at Cabrini University in Radnor, PA. A communication studies and journalism major in college, she works as a news reporter and fill-in anchor at WRDE NBC Coast TV in Milton, DE. She is also the founder of Tyler’s Triumph, a non-profit organization in memory of her late brother who passed after an opioid overdose, providing recovery and rehabilitation services to substance abusers.

This poll has ended.

Last week, TESD students took the Keystone Exams. Which of these subjects is not among those tested upon?

Correct Answer: History

Keystone Exams are mandated by the Pennsylvania Department of Education to help gauge districts in their ability to guide students toward meeting state educational standards. Since the COVID-19 pandemic, proficiency in all subjects covered in the Keystone Exams has dropped. This follows a nationwide trend in decreasing standardized test scores, indicating a definitive negative impact of the pandemic on primary education.

This poll has ended.

Which of these local zoos is hosting a holiday lumination

Tickets for Luminature, the annual exhibit that illuminates the Philadelphia Zoo with millions of twinkling decorations, are on sale now. Visitors can see penguins, gorillas, flamingos and other wildlife favorites in holiday exhibits from the start of December to the beginning of January.

This poll has ended.

Which musical genres will the members of Conestoga Music by performing in the upcoming annual winter concert

]

Conestoga’s musical groups will display their skills and talent to concertgoers on Dec. 7 and 14. Performances focus on holiday and classical genres to get into the holiday spirit. Conestoga Music encourages students, teachers, parents and community members to attend, admission free of charge.

This poll has ended.

What program run by the United States Marine Corps Reserve provides toys to children who cannot afford them for the holidays?

Toys for Tots began in 1947 and has since expanded to cover all 50 states. Major Bill Hendricks of the Marine Corps Reserve founded it after being inspired by his wife, Diane, who asked him to donate several handmade dolls to children in need. Toys for Tots will begin collecting toys in the main gym lobby on December 7th (to be sorted and distributed to the local community), so keep an eye out for any new and unwrapped toys lying around the house!

This poll has ended.

The music department recently traveled to Disney World in Orlando, FL. Which 2018 Disney movie sports a Christmas-based plot set in Victoria, London?

The Nutcracker and the Four Realms, directed by Lasse Hallström and Joe Johnston, is the best blockbuster you’ve never heard of. A refreshing twist on the age-old “Nutcracker”, Clara and her soldier Phillip will take you on a hundred-minute thriller. With eye-catching sets, beautiful costumes, and euphonious music. Watch it right now on Amazon Prime Video, Vudu, Apple TV, or Redbox!

This poll has ended.

What Christmas-themed event in Love Park is being held until the 24th?

The annual Christmas Village, which is held every year from mid-November to Christmas Eve, features an authentic German market resplendent with a ferris wheel, carousel, and wooden vendor booths. Set some aside to pick up some Belgian Fries or Käsespätzle (Germany’s version of Mac n’ Cheese) while exploring the items the 110+ vendors have to offer! 

This poll has ended.

What teacher recently got back from maternity leave?

Grace Hafer has been teaching Culinary Arts, Regional Cooking, Nutrition and Foods, Childhood Development, and Early Learning and Play at Conestoga High School. This is Hafer’s 10th year teaching. Her favorite subject to teach is cooking and her favorite holiday is Christmas. 

This poll has ended.

According to SWNS Digital, what is the top recurring gift to give or receive?

According to a survey of 2,000 Americans who celebrate a winter holiday the top recurring gift (as of 2021) was sweets with that being said by 47% of the people surveyed. This is interesting because even though 61% said that they have a traditional gift that they give, 81% of the people said they prefer a gift that they can use throughout the year.

Evan Lu can be reached at [email protected].

Alex Carder can be reached at [email protected].

Ryan Ding can be reached at [email protected].

Eva Kennedy can be reached at [email protected].