African American Student Union hosts fourth movie night

By Jui Bhatia, Staff Reporter

The African American Student Union (AASU) hosted its fourth movie night on Thursday, Feb. 25 to have an insightful discussion on “Just Mercy,” a movie about lawyer Bryan Stevenson who takes up cases of people on the death row. 

Run by freshman Kiana Gardner and senior Isaiah Willis, the meeting provided an open space to reflect on “Just Mercy” and experiences relating to the movie. Because the AASU promotes a safe environment for tough discussions, many participants reflected and shared their personal experiences relating to the movie. 

The meeting started with the soundtrack of “Just Mercy” to feature African American music and set the mood for the following discussion. Every discussion the AASU conducts involves a movie highlighting African American culture, but the discussion focuses on different aspects of the movie. For example, last month’s discussion concentrated on music, while this month’s discussion was guided by “Just Mercy” movie clips.

The club plans to hold the discussion for their next movie, “Remember the Titans,” on Wednesday, March 24.