Fall Sports During COVID-19

By Kate Phillips, Staff Reporter

After careful planning and consideration of CDC guidelines, Central League decisions and Governor Wolf’s recommendations, the school has decided to postpone official sports seasons, but continue with voluntary practices and inter-school competitions. 

Strict safety guidelines have been established to ensure the safety of all student athletes, coaches and spectators. A maximum of 250 people are allowed to attend athletic events. During practices, athletes are required to maintain a distance of 6-feet from other players and wear masks whenever possible. Athletes are also expected to not attend practice when sick, and to bring their own water so that there is no contamination in the water hoses and fountains.

Despite the many changing factors, some factors have remained somewhat normal. Conestoga is still competing with other schools, through both home and away games. Buses will still be provided to transport athletes to and from away games, with the expectation that all athletes will wear masks and stay socially distanced throughout the trips. Voluntary practices are taking place every day after school as usual – the only change besides the implemented safety guidelines is the absence of tryouts. Conestoga is preparing for the possibility of official seasons with tryouts for sports that traditionally take place in the fall. And as always, athletes have been asked to submit the usually required paperwork, such as health screenings and PIAA forms.

Although fall sports are different this year, Conestoga has carefully planned so that every student, from cross country to marching band and everything in between, will have the opportunity to experience some sense of normality and a time to exercise and compete this fall.

Kate Phillips can be reached at [email protected]