“Warm fuzzies” seek to unite student body

By Ian Ong, Co-Student Life Editor

“You’re one of the nicest people I’ve ever met,” one card read. Another simply stated, “you brighten up my day.”

Last Thursday, the Anti-Defamation League began posting “warm fuzzies” in the English hallway, just outside of the entrance to the physics rooms. Warm fuzzies are short compliments written on a slip of paper, addressed from one person to another. During Cornucopia, students at ADL’s stand wrote anonymous compliments to their friends and favorite teachers, which were then compiled by the club and put up on display for all to read.

Through the program, ADL seeks to connect people of all races, religions and lifestyles to unite as a school-wide community. Senior Sophie Schwartz, a member of ADL, feels that the warm fuzzies promote good feelings within the Conestoga student body.

“It’s really fun to find your name and see that someone has written a cute note to you, and you don’t even know who it is,” Schwartz said.

dsc_0349-2
The Anti-Defamation League posted “warm fuzzies” last Thursday as part of their mission to connect students regardless of their backgrounds.

Junior Alyssa Copeland was one of many students who received a warm fuzzy. The author had written on the card, “you are a beautiful soul.”

“I was really surprised to hear that somebody said that about me, and it made me really happy for the rest of the week at least,” Copeland said.

Likewise, Junior Javier Montaner received a compliment stating, “you’re really smart!”

“It was a pleasant surprise to know that someone else had written that about me,” Montaner said.

Although the fuzzies are anonymous, Schwartz holds that this does not detract from the overall message of love and connection that the program is meant to send.

“I think that it’s good that it’s anonymous because it doesn’t put pressure on anyone to have to say something,” Schwartz said. “It’s completely by your own free will.”

Ian Ong can be reached at [email protected]