Light the Night: a fight against leukemia and lymphoma

By Kate Phillips, Staff Reporter

On Oct. 12, just before sunset, swarms of people gather at Wilson Farm Park with lanterns lit to fight against leukemia and lymphoma. An array of colored lights decorate the grass: supporters hold red lanterns, survivors hold white lanterns and those who had lost a loved one hold gold lanterns.

As sunset approaches, live music from the stage, face painting, and bean bag tosses take the attention. But as soon as dark comes, everyone turns off their lanterns and gather in front of the stage to listen to speakers from the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, the organization that prepared the event, as well as those who came to honor a lost one and survivors who had won their fight.

First, those who came to honor a loved one light their lanterns; the sky fills with gold. Second, those who came to celebrate their survival light their lanterns; the sky fills with white. And third, those who came to support the cause light their lanterns; the sky fills with red. It is time to Light the Night. Everyone begins to walk along the path, some talking with one another, others walking proudly with their lanterns high, all united in the fight against leukemia and lymphoma.

The event was truly mesmerizing and the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society did an amazing job ensuring that everyone, supporting, surviving and honoring, had the chance to fight and Light the Night.

Kate Phillips can be reached at [email protected]