Sisters of ‘Joseph’ find harmony with ‘I’m Alone, No You’re Not’

Sisters of Joseph find harmony with I’m Alone, No You’re Not

By Matt Soderberg, Op-Ed Editor

Three years ago, sisters Natalie, Meegan, and Allison Closner decided to form a band. Searching for a name, they found inspiration in their hometown of Joseph, Oregon, as well as their grandfather, Jo. Releasing a record called Native Dreamer Kin, they began to make a name for themselves with frequent intimate house shows and soaring harmonies only sisters could have. The record itself struggled to sell, however, and media interest shied away from the trio.

With their recent release, “I’m Alone, No You’re Not”, “Joseph” has found their collective voice. The same harmony is there, as well as the intimacy of music with just voice, guitar and a kick drum. Simplicity may be in the setup, but the vocal arrangements are complex and mastered, with the lyrics maturing from the unencumbered hope of their first record to a refined, self-aware tone.

The single “White Flag”, which has picked up traction with local radio stations and even some late-night television appearances, is a rebellious, fiery song that uses the sisters’ perfect harmonies as a weapon of melody. Lyrics like “you’d better give up/no you’re not gonna stop me getting through” are demonstrative of the passion behind the whole album as well as the prevailing theme of contrasts in the lyrics. The sisters are speaking out about what holds them back, using their voices as a platform for their message.

Songs like “SOS (Overboard)” and “Blood and Tears” build the tension that fills the album. The opener “Canyon” lays the groundwork, the vocal harmonies ringing out right from the start. The sisters of Joseph have been singing together since they were just kids, and this record really shows that for the first time.

The record closes with the aptly named “Sweet Dreams” a sweeping melody reminiscent of childhood. The band continues to support James Bay on an arena tour this fall.

Matt Soderberg can be reached at [email protected].