Swimming sensation: ’Stoga senior takes on 2024 Olympic Trials

Courtesy Mark Pynes

By Joanna Harris, Staff Reporter

Senior Jake Wang is set to swim the 100-meter breaststroke in the 2024 U.S. Olympic Team Trials at the Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, Indiana from June 15 to June 23. According to Wang, this accomplishment will lead to future opportunities and allow him to compete in a more intense environment.

“I get to go to the next level of swimming,” Wang said. “There’s more to do, but it’s just exciting to get to that next level.”

Wang currently swims for the Suburban Seahawks Club, and he recently finished his senior season with ’Stoga swim. He typically has seven practices each week, with two on Monday. He spent most of his last season training 25-yard short courses, but he qualified for the Olympic trials by swimming the 100-meter breaststroke in a long-course, or 50-meter, pool. He plans on continuing his training in a long-course pool as he prepares to compete in the Olympic trials.

“He tries really hard at practice,” Wang’s teammate and fellow senior John Yeniay said. “He’s also really focused on what he wants to do, and he’s really locked in to what he wants to achieve.”

Wang credits his success to his teammates for supporting him as he heads to the 2024 U.S. Olympic Team Trials. He highlights the impact that the ’Stoga team has had on him, emphasizing the encouragement and motivation of the other swimmers at practices and meets.

“The team is extremely important,” Wang said. “Without the team, I wouldn’t be nearly as dedicated. I wouldn’t be nearly as competitive or committed to getting better because we’re all pushing each other.”

Wang tries to manage his time so that he can get most of his homework done in school and focus on swimming. He encourages other student-athletes to do the same.

“Make sure you maintain a good work-life balance,” Wang said. “Get sleep and stay dedicated to the sport that you play.”

As Wang advances to the Olympic trials with the 100-meter breaststroke, he also aims to qualify for the 200-meter individual medley, 50-meter freestyle and 100-meter freestyle within the next two months. His goal this summer is to reach the semifinals in the upcoming Olympic trials. In the future, Wang hopes to compete on the 2028 U.S. Olympic team.

“It’s the top meet you can go to, and the next step is the Olympics,” Yeniay said. “Being able to go to that meet is just an amazing achievement.”

Joanna Harris can be reached at [email protected].