Tredyffrin Public Library builds makerspace

Vaishnavi Sriadibhatla

By Vaishnavi Sriadibhatla, Staff Reporter

At the beginning of 2024, the Tredyffrin Public Library opened its doors to its newest addition, a makerspace. It is a place for people with various science, technology, engineering, arts and math-based interests to further develop their skills by using provided supplies and technologies including 3D printers, a laser cutter and a Cricut machine.

“The makerspace is to offer a wide opportunity for people in the community to come and use machines that they are not sure about or want to learn more about,” said Amy Moscia, the library’s makerspace programs coordinator. “It is also about teaching a wide variety of skills and is just a great learning opportunity in general.”

Two grants that the library received in 2023 helped make the project possible. In June 2023, the McClain Foundation, a local organization aimed at helping educational institutions, awarded the library $25,000 to build the makerspace. The library received an additional $15,000 grant from Friends of the Tredyffrin Public Library, the library’s parent organization.

Moscia worked with the library’s head children’s librarian  Stephanie Bragg, fundraising associate Rachel Kramer and head of reference technology Jonathan Trice to develop the makerspace. The team looked at other makerspaces and attended a convention for library educators to decide what tools would best suit the community, especially students.

“It complements the education that they receive in school. We are able to offer this to a wider age range, so we are just helping spark interest and helping people continue learning,” Trice said. “That is the big thing: We just want people to keep on learning new things and trying new things.”

Now open to the public, the makerspace hosts weekly educational programs, which cater to interests such as crocheting, 3D printing and Lego building. In the programs, the attendees are able to learn how to use the machines available to make various crafts, such as printed socks, 3D printed toys and engraved wood coasters.

“I think that it is a positive for the community. The library is not just a space for books anymore. It is a community center,” Trice said. “This allows us to serve needs in the community and bring new people in or get long-time patrons excited about something else.”

Tredyffrin Public Library patron and mother of two Katie Packett is excited to explore the new makerspace as a part of her visit to the library. She believes that this space will continue to have a lasting positive impact on the T/E community.

“My experience is nothing short of awesome,” Packett said. “My kids love the space. It inspires them to use their imagination and bring it to life. They get to experience new technology that they would otherwise not have access to and do so under the guidance of the staff who work so well with kids and have the valuable knowledge of these new tools.”

Vaishnavi Sriadibhatla can be reached at [email protected].