Former football coach Matt Diamond bids farewell

Courtesy Sukie Carpenter

By Michael Tierney, Business Manager

Head varsity football coach Matt Diamond announced his decision to step down after 19 seasons with the team. Diamond delivered the news to the team at a meeting in late December.

Diamond, a 1998 Conestoga alumnus, graduated as a team captain in both football and baseball. His dedication and leadership eventually earned him a spot in the T/E Conestoga Football Association’s Hall of Fame. Now, he is stepping away from the gridiron.

“It was emotional for all of us,” Diamond said. “We have a very close-knit football culture where we care for one another. But ultimately, (the team) understood my decision and they know I am still here in the district to support them and help them in any way I can.”

Senior Landon Ross, a player under Diamond’s guidance, expressed his respect for Diamond and the legacy he left on the program. He said Diamond impacted him as a person because he pushed him to work hard and challenged him to grow.

“Coach Diamond is a great guy who cares about his players and their growth on and off the field,” Ross said. “He challenged the seniors every year to create a hard working culture and to leave an impact on the program.”

Senior and captain Tommy Costigan played under Diamond for four years. He said that Diamond transformed the meaning of “Conestoga Football” and pushed the team to its limits every day while also creating memories that will stay with the players for life.

“One memorable moment with coach Diamond was after our big win against Ridley, who we had not beaten in five years. He gave a great post-game speech, and on the bus ride home, he started blasting ‘Revival’ by Zach Bryan,” Costigan said. “We were all singing along, and it was a memorable experience for all the players, especially the seniors.”

Diamond said that the decision to step away from the team was difficult, but he knew that he had to turn his attention to his family at home.

“Stepping away was not an easy decision,” Diamond said. “Conestoga football has been a huge part of my life over the years and is something I care about deeply. I chose to step down though because the time was right for my family. We are in a window of our life that won’t last forever, and I wanted to make sure I was able to be there to enjoy and support them as a proud parent.”

Diamond feels that coaching the team has had a significant impact on his life. He said that he is grateful to have made a positive impact on the atheletes.

“I feel so blessed to have been a part of Conestoga football for so long. It truly has been one of the most special parts of my life, and I appreciate all the wonderful people, families and the players who have made it so special,” Diamond said. “I hope I was able to have a positive impact on the lives of the players who have come through our program. I know they had a positive impact on mine.”

Michael Tierney can be reached at [email protected].