Girls’ basketball coach gets 100th win, team reaches milestones

Ashley Du / The SPOKE

By Alexa Willrich, Staff Reporter

With a margin of more than 30 points, the girls’ varsity basketball team handed head coach AJ Thompson his 100th coaching win and added another victory to its strong record.

Thompson has been coaching the team since 2018 and reached the 100th win of his career during the Dec. 29 game against Conwell-Egan Catholic High School. Thompson has an extensive coaching history, overseeing basketball at Kutztown High School, Newman University,  Phoenixville Area High School and Valley Forge Middle School. A majority of his wins came from his time at ’Stoga, and parents and team members celebrated the achievement with balloons and a poster.

“It was really special to spend it with this great group because they’re a group that you come in every day and just have fun coaching,” Thompson said.

The team currently has an overall record of 16-1 and 10-1 in the Central League as of Feb. 1, and the girls had ranked first in the state before their loss. Thompson believes that the team’s focus on being honest about athletes’ strengths and weaknesses helps members improve. Additionally, a greater proportion of this year’s team members call basketball their primary sport.

“A lot of our girls play year-round or at least mostly year-round, so you can tell they are trying to improve and really competitive when they are trying to win,” Thompson said.

To stay connected off the court, the girls hold team building activities, including pasta dinners and staying together when participating in overnight tournaments. According to senior and captain Marisa Francione, the team’s leadership and honesty have helped the girls build strong relationships as they go into playoffs hoping to win a championship.

“I think we’ve been so good because we have a really good connection on and off the court,” Francione said. “We just love being around each other, and I feel like that translated to our play on the court.”

Alexa Willrich can be reached at [email protected].