Ski Club plans winter trips

Courtesy Michael Kane

By Sadie Chronister, Staff Reporter

In March, the Conestoga Ski Club will travel to Killington Resort in Vermont and Gore Mountain in New York. Both trips are overnight as the locations are more than five hours away. Overnight trips require transportation, lodging and chaperones, leading to an extensive planning process.

Senior Nathan Horvath enjoys being a member of the Ski Club as he is able to travel to new places at an affordable cost.

“Being part of the Ski Club is really nice because you are surrounded by fellow ski and snowboard enthusiasts that love the same thing you do, making it super easy to strike up a conversation,” Horvath said.

Science teacher and club sponsor Michael Kane began preparations for the annual club trips in September. He books the trips through the Classic Ski Tours company to help determine further logistics and costs.

Horvath looks forward to attending this year’s trips.

“My favorite part of the ski trip is definitely the bus ride. Last year, we blasted music all the way down, watched movies on the televisions and even had NBA 2k tournaments,” Horvath said.

A challenge for some students is that all permission slips must be signed by a parent in front of a notary or district employee. To help students coordinate the signatures, the club held a fundraiser at Chipotle Mexican Grill on Feb. 3.

“Last year I got the idea that I’ll sit at Chipotle on fundraiser night, and as parents come in, I can be the witness and they can sign the paperwork. This way, the club gets some money which allows us to have some extra funds in reserve,” Kane said.

After the planning is complete, Kane said the best part of the process  comes: the trips itself.

“I love doing it (because) I’m the only one in my family that skis,” Kane said. “So it allows me to take a long weekend while still working.”

Sadie Chronister can be reached at [email protected].