Considering collegiate cuisine

Considering collegiate cuisine

By Mareska Chettiar, Photography Editor

Prestige, popularity, location, major, this college, that dorm, blah blah blah. Who cares? None of that matters if the food — the fuel for life — is terrible.

You eat three meals every day, so why isn’t cuisine taken seriously when considering colleges? There’s so much to account for: location of dining hall; variety of foods, especially if you have cultural preferences; number of meal programs and how much they cost; customization both in food and related expenses; popular local food spots; location of your dorm in relation to the cafeteria; exactly how much time it takes to get there to the millisecond; and more.

With so much to consider, I find it remarkable that so many people do not think about what they will eat for possibly four years straight!

Since about 88% of freshmen in the U.S. are on meal programs, according to a market data report in the Gitnux Blog, deep consideration into this matter is crucial — not only because it’s a monetary commitment, but an emotional and physical commitment too.

An integral part of your health relies on having a good relationship with food. Access to different kinds of cuisines and cultural foods can enhance your nutrition and help you explore and discover new foods you like. Avoiding mealtimes and eating instant ramen everyday can have larger impacts on your health, affecting you even after college.

The Harvard Health Blog reports that having a diet that is balanced, or adheres to a cultural cuisine, can improve your overall mood and lead to higher energy levels. And who wouldn’t want to be feeling good before having their day ruined with three papers due at 11:59 p.m.?

Though some people have a monetary limit and cannot afford fancy meal programs with a luxurious variety, I urge everyone to at least taste the food while visiting colleges — peep into the menu options and meal programs, and figure out what works best for you. Most colleges also have lots of information online.

Food has various impacts on every aspect of your health and wellbeing, though most of us tend to overlook it in the process of college applications. Taste the food, make note of the variety, visit local spots and see how long it takes for you to travel between eateries. Make sure you love your college’s cuisine.

Mareska Chettiar can be reached at [email protected].