The SPORK: Paladar

By George Zhang, Co-Director of Staff Development

Good ol’ Town Center, known for its mouthwatering dining options and cozy fireplaces, is an iconic hub for residents near King of Prussia to enjoy a savory meal. Paladar Latin Kitchen and Rum Bar is a fine place to do so.

Upon walking in the entrance, I was instantly greeted by a friendly hostess and the aroma of Latin flavors wafting from the kitchen. Located at 250 Main St., King of Prussia, Paladar offers a variety of Caribbean and South American inspired dishes ranging from house-made salsas to chicken empanadas and pork carnita tacos to traditional mojitos (which, unfortunately, I was not allowed to order).

The house-made salsas marked a solid start to the meal, with a mix of crispy plantain, malanga and tortilla chips. Accompanying it was a bowl of salsa fresca, which consisted of a refreshing blend of chopped tomatoes, minced onions and jalapeños that tasted like they had been harvested the same day as they were full of juice. The icing on the cake was that the chips had infinite refills, though the salsa unfortunately did not.

Next were the chicken empanadas, which had an outer shell that crunched with each bite and an inner filling of chicken, chihuahua cheese and caramelized onions that melted in my mouth. A slight drizzle of green herb sauce added a nice pang as well.

Finally, the long awaited entrée: pork carnita tacos with a side of yucca fries. With a perfect ratio of pork, onions, cilantro and chopped tomatoes, these tacos were some of the best I’ve ever had. The amount of filling was just right, neither too much nor too little. The Yucca Fries were also well seasoned and crispy.

Coming in at a total of $33.80 these dishes were relatively affordable. If you ever feel a craving for Latin American food, consider making the drive to King of Prussia Town Center and checking out Paladar. Trust me, you won’t regret it.

George Zhang can be reached at [email protected].