Alumni family dedicates decades to Berwyn Fire Company

By Faith Zantua, Co-Copy Editor

Sirens blaring. People running. Frantic talking.

A fire company’s work often consists of unexpected events. Nevertheless, some still choose to volunteer, including one particular family: the Nudys.

The Nudy family has worked at the Berwyn Fire Company for more than 40 years. Fred Nudy Jr. began the family trend, and it then continued with his son, Fred Nudy III, and his grandchildren, Emily and Jack Nudy, all of whom are Conestoga graduates except for Fred Nudy Jr.

“We grew up with the expectation of helping others, community service being a big aspect of that,” Emily Nudy said. “My father was an Easttown Township police officer for a long time, so he’s been committed to the community in quite literally every aspect. I think that showed in the way that we were raised. I’m forever grateful for that.”

Fred Nudy Jr. was an active member of the fire company, serving many positions such as president and vice president of the board of directors. Fred Nudy III joined in 1985 working as a firefighter and for the emergency medical services (EMS) division. As a result, Emily and Jack Nudy grew up hearing about the company from their father.

“It (joining the company) was not expected (and) not predicted,” Emily Nudy said. “I didn’t see myself fighting fires. But once I realized that I enjoyed medicine, could join as an (emergency medical technician) and ride the ambulance, that’s when I decided to join.”

Emily Nudy was motivated to join in 2019 after she enrolled in Conestoga’s Allied Health emergency medical technician (EMT) program and her father suggested trying volunteering. Jack Nudy joined in 2020, attending training provided by the Berwyn Fire Company.

“It was always something that has intrigued me and piqued my interest,” Jack Nudy said. “So as soon as I was able to join, I knew that I wanted to.”

Emily Nudy is currently a pediatric nurse, and Jack Nudy is a sophomore at West Chester University studying criminal justice. Both siblings balance volunteering and their other activities.

“It (volunteering) has become part of my regular life. I don’t see it as a job,” Jack Nudy said. “(That balance is) probably the easiest thing about it because it’s so fun to be there, and we have a good time.”

Currently, Emily Nudy serves as an EMS lieutenant, and Jack Nudy serves as a firefighter EMT for the company. Michael Baskin, the company’s EMS Captain, has known the family since he joined in 1997 and works closely with Emily Nudy.

“She cares a lot about the organization and taking care of patients,” said Baskin. “She’s a very good fit for helping take care of our ambulances and the EMS division of the firehouse.”

In the future, both siblings  plan on continuing to volunteer for the company. Emily Nudy hopes to maintain her level of commitment and act as an advanced life support provider. Jack Nudy aims to hold higher positions in the company.

“It is not something you can do forever,” Jack Nudy said. “But me and my sister are in (the company) now, and hopefully we can continue that line of tradition and wanting to do it.”

Faith Zantua can be reached at [email protected].