Township considers, rejects municipal trash collection bids

By Rohan Anne, Webmaster

In July, the Tredyffrin Township Board of Supervisors considered changing the current trash system, which currently uses multiple trash companies, to a municipal trash collection system. The district accepted proposals from three trash companies to provide trash collection for the district, and on Sept. 18, the supervisors pushed back the decision to change the trash system. The supervisors started to consider municipal trash collection due to complaints from some TESD residents.

Senior Sanveer Kashyap noticed trash piling up in his neighborhood over the summer when his provider, A.J. Blosenski Inc., did not pick up trash on time.

“I started to notice that (the trash) was pretty bad during the summer, and it started to smell a lot when I was near it,” Kashyap said. “Our family faced a problem with the huge buildup of trash, and it became a huge pain to bring the trash and recycling out.”

Currently, the township has multiple trash haulers responsible for different parts of the township, including A.J. Blosenski Inc. and Whitetail Disposal Inc. With a municipal trash collection system, only one trash company would be responsible for the entire township. According to Matt Holt, Vice Chair of the Board of Supervisors, the township and the trash hauler would enter into a contract together for this to happen.

“Right now any hauler that has a permit for the township can be contracted and pick up trash,” Holt said. “(With municipal trash collection), there will only be a single hauler entered into a contract with the township and every resident would use one trash service.”

Over summer, the Board of Supervisors received bids from all the trash haulers active in the township. The township provided terms that it wanted the companies to abide by, and the trash companies proposed prices for their service to the entire township. On Sept. 18, the supervisors rejected the bids submitted by all the trash haulers and plan to accept new bids after changing the terms of agreement for municipal trash collection.

The supervisors plan to change the terms in the contract using feedback at supervisor meetings and from the trash companies themselves. According to Holt, the selected trash company would be fully responsible after the contract is signed.

“For municipal trash collection, (the township) would not be buying the trucks or doing the billing. We would only award a contract for the township to one hauler,” Holt said. “Then they would be responsible for providing all services to the residents and doing the collection.”

Improving the trash system is important to TESD residents, since trash buildup has become a problem for many without intervention from the township. For Kashyap, getting trash picked up on time is essential.

“The last thing anybody wants to deal with is trash,” Kashyap said. “Any possible way to get trash out of sight and out of mind sounds more than great to me.”

Rohan Anne can be reached at [email protected].