Pennsylvania House bill proposes greener education grants

By Vanessa Chen, Staff Reporter

In 2022, Generation180, a non-profit aiming to increase use of clean energy, released a report on solar energy implements in Pennsylvania. According to the report, the number of K-12 schools with solar energy developments nearly doubled from 2020 to 2022. In light of the rise of more sustainable energy and facilities, Pennsylvania House Representative Elizabeth Fiedler proposed the Solar for Schools Grant Program in December 2022.

Working with the Department of Community and Economic Development, PA House Bill 137 would establish the program and set aside $500 million to use toward greener education facilities. The Solar for Schools Grant Program would give successful applicants grants for all solar energy and equipment purchases, maintenance of the facilities and other approved costs. Rep. Fiedler and other Pennsylvania democrats believe the program would not only raise awareness of the importance of going greener in the rapidly evolving world, but also potentially save schools thousands of dollars that could be  allocated towards funding for students.

At T/E schools, sustainable energy has been considered in the past and has been one of the district’s goals for school buildings. According to Michele Burger, Chair of Facilities Committee at TESD, sustainable and efficient design has already been incorporated into some past projects, including the addition of the atrium at Conestoga High School.

“The roof of the atrium allows natural light to flood the space, reducing the need for light fixtures,” Burger said. “Additionally, the interior classrooms adjacent to the atrium have windows that allow the natural light to filter into the classrooms.”

Although the bill is still currently pending, TESD administrators have been increasing their green energy efforts and have been working with professionals on sustainable projects. As part of the district’s 10-year Strategic Plan to improve many aspects of T/E schools, steps have already been taken toward greener initiatives, including incorporating more energy efficient designs in future projects.

“The fieldhouse that is proposed for the athletic fields project currently has a solar panel component in its design (which) will allow for the science labs to collect data and use it as a learning tool,” Burger said.

Additionally, the district gathered both advice and assistance from TESD students, faculty, and both board and community members regarding improvements to T/E schools, including topics of green energy. The aforementioned Strategic Plan was created with the input of more than 200 community contributors, and current sustainable initiatives at TESD have been carried out at all buildings with the help of those both outside and within the district.

“Having recycling programs at each of our buildings, engaging the student body in greening efforts and working with professional consultants are important components of achieving the district sustainability goals,” Burger said. “Both the district and school board recognize the importance of taking steps to ensure that future generations have a planet that is healthy and safe.”

Vanessa Chen can be reached at [email protected].