TESD staff participate in lockdown drills

By Lizzie Sun, Staff Reporter

During the last semester of the 2022-23 academic year, the Tredyffrin/Easttown School District began conducting emergency preparedness training, or “slow motion” lockdown drills for all school staff.

Different from a regular lockdown drill, the slow motion lockdown drills had students dismissed early for a half-day, leaving the school for the teachers to operate the drill. Additionally, the district invited local authorities such as the police and EMS responders for an additional perspective in certain stimulated situations.

The district implemented the drills over several months in every school in the district. Conestoga High School biology teacher Jacqueline Gontarek, who participated in a slow motion drill, reflects on how her experiences during the drill offered new insight into how to respond during a crisis.

“I thought the (drill) was a fantastic opportunity to see the layout of each room in the hall in your particular hallway through the eyes of a police officer,” Gontarek said. “(The police) see things differently, and it was great to get their perspective.”

Dr. Patrick Boyle, 12th-grade assistant principal and Conestoga Facilities Use Coordinator, ran and organized the emergency preparedness training drill at the school, which took place on April 26. He feels the drills helped staff learn to better prepare themselves.

“We did a safety drill in our school community for our teachers and staff members,” Boyle said. “This (safety drill) would allow them to understand how to use the building to best protect themselves and the students in case of emergency.”

The slow motion staff drill was a mock lockdown drill involving small groups of staff, school administrators and police officers. All staff including secretaries, kitchen staff, custodians and teachers rehearsed the drill, pausing for questions and group discussions regarding the staff’s workspace and possible scenarios.

“We went through every single classroom along the hallway, and it was good to see different rooms because sometimes you’re going to be in a different room if something happens,” Gontarek said. “And we all identified what was the plan to keep kids safe, and how and where would we leave the room.”

Gonterak feels that the drills improve school safety and make staff more aware of what to do in emergency scenarios, and conducting them again in the future would yield positive results.

“I think everybody should have the opportunity to learn from this,” Gontarek said. “I think it’s a good idea to do it at least once a year.”

Chris Groppe, Director of Safety and Student Services, planned TESD’s emergency preparedness training for staff and student safety several months ago in the face of national school violence to meet the district’s obligation of maintaining people’s safety.

“I think the community feels that we are doing our job of keeping students and people in this building safe,” Boyle said. “However, it’s unfortunate that we have to do these drills due to the situations that are happening outside.”

Lizzie Sun can be reached at [email protected].