Fit fasting: Students exercise during Ramadan

By Michael Tierney, Busines Manager

The sun is just starting to rise, casting a soft golden glow as a group of students make their way to the gym. As they walk, they greet each other with quiet nods and murmurs of “Salaam” – Arabic for “Peace be upon you” – before settling into the workout routine.

Some Muslim students are observing Ramadan, the month-long Islamic period of fasting and spiritual reflection, during which they abstain from food and drink from dawn to dusk. Despite the physical challenges that come with working out while fasting, these students are determined to maintain their fitness routine and persevere to push themselves to new heights.

In Junior Zane Khalil’s routine, he waits until sunset to eat a meal, goes to the gym and then eats again when he returns home.

“It’s tiring, but I have to keep pushing forward,” Khalil said. “It gives me a new outlook on life (and) makes me more appreciative of all the food and everything I have.”

Similarly, junior Ammaiza Omair typically goes to the gym later at night before she breaks her fast. This way, the sun sets during her workout, and she can drink water to avoid dehydration. However, she must also overcome other obstacles, such as waking up early to eat breakfast before sunrise.

“The hardest part is getting enough sleep because I have to wake up early, and if I get home too late, I get too tired and fall asleep without doing any homework. I combat this problem by doing my homework during the school day and making the most of my time during Ramadan,” Omair said.

Although staying disciplined and facing obstacles during Ramadan can be difficult, it helped sophomore Yaseen Haloui deepen his religious devotion and gain a deeper understanding of himself.

“I definitely think this brings me and other people closer to their faith because Ramadan teaches you many things like self-control and patience,” Haloui said. “Ramadan is also a time where Muslims refrain from doing certain things like listening to music so that they can get closer to their faith and be more religious.”

Exercising during this religious observance has led students to adjust their daily routines and eating schedules, which cultivates responsibility and self-discipline and results in a rewarding experience.

“Even though it gets tiring at times, I have to remember to keep doing my daily routine (as) I would without fasting because the entire point of Ramadan is to have self-control and empathize with those that are less fortunate,” Omair said. “Even if I feel hunger or tiredness, I feel accomplished knowing I stuck through with it.”