A ’Stoga tradition: Senior Lip Dub begins production

By Lexi Lin, Staff Reporter

The annual Senior Lip Dub is in production despite being originally canceled due to filming complications. After voting, Conestoga’s Class of 2023 chose “Can’t Hold Us” by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis as its final pick for the Lip Dub.

Planned and produced by Stoga Film, the Senior Lip Dub is a tradition held among the senior class to showcase the students’ identities. The grade chooses a song that they would like to lip-sync to, and representative groups of the senior class, such as clubs and sports teams, participate in the filming of different sections.

“It’s a really fun way to commemorate everything that the seniors have contributed to during their four years of high school,” said senior Jaela Eaton, who is helping prepare for the event.

To avoid disruption typically caused by the production, this year’s filming schedule was executed differently. Rather than shooting the entire video in one shot on May 5 during Snow Day in May, the senior class recorded from April 17 to April 19 during periods 7 and 8, as well as after school.

“For each group, you’re given about 30 minutes. So we will rehearse it once or twice and then give it two or three times to film,” said senior Ahana Sinha, who oversaw production for the film.

The ending class shot will take place at Snow Day in May which will include most or all of the grade. The final video will be released on YouTube on the same day.

“As a way to celebrate our last day of high school, we do show the Lip Dub on that final day,” Eaton said. “It will also be live for everybody else to watch.”

Furthermore, the seniors helping organize the Lip Dub hope that it will showcase the diverse interests of the student body and the various school resources that have made their senior year memorable.

“We appreciate everybody who will be helping and who wants to help, and who really understands that this is something that the senior class wants to do,” Eaton said. “It’s going to be a lot more monitored, serene, (and) simply just a fun video that we can shoot in order to remember our senior year.”

Lexi Lin can be reached at [email protected].