Testing center staff crack down on cheating

By Faith Zantua, Staff Reporter

Cheating on assessments has always been a concern amongst teachers and staff. Recently, however, some staff have noticed an increase in academic dishonesty, especially in the testing centers.

The testing center staff have increased security against academic dishonesty this year. Students take assessments in the testing centers, Rooms 202 and 204, if they missed the test date and need to make up an assessment. They are open every school day from 7:50 a.m. to 2:50 p.m. and stay open until 3:30 p.m. on Wednesdays.

According to one of the testing center proctors, Barbara DeFeo, there has been an increase in academic dishonesty in the testing centers. Spanish teacher Ann Karcewski personally experienced this increase.

“Unfortunately, these days, I feel like (cheating) is becoming more and more common,” Karcewski said. “I’m seeing an increase of it from my colleagues, (who are) saying ‘Oh, my student got caught with a cheat sheet.’ This (use of a) cheat sheet is becoming really popular. Personally I’ve had kids cheat, (and) they’re discovered by the (testing center proctor).”

Unlike Karcewski, 10th grade assistant principal James Bankert does not believe the frequency of academic dishonesty has changed significantly. Bankert oversees standardized testing and the testing centers.

“I don’t think (the frequency of cheating) is higher,” Bankert said. “There is a little bit more incentive because of phones.”

Students are required to put their phones in a basket at the front of the room before taking a test in the testing centers. However, electronics are not the only tools reportedly used to cheat. Karcewski has witnessed the use of notes without permission, especially in the testing centers, and believes it is associated with some students repeatedly missing school on the day of an assessment.

“I think that (using a cheat sheet in the testing center) is a go-to plan because I feel like (the students) think they can cheat easier in a testing center,” Karcewski said. “I think because (of this) certain kids are absent every time there’s a quiz. If you’re sick, you’re sick, but when you start seeing a pattern that (the student) tends to be sick on testing days, then you get disappointed.”

To prevent cheating, the testing center staff are emphasizing stricter security. Proctors check a student’s assessment to see if their teacher wrote that notes or electronics are allowed. If there is no indication, proctors assume that the student cannot use notes and devices or they contact the teacher for further confirmation.

The testing center staff have used this process in the past, but they recently sent reminders to teachers to write the indications on the assessments. Additionally, they are paying more attention to any electronic devices that can be hidden, such as smart watches.

“The idea is that (testing) should be fair, (but) we also understand the pressure students have,” DeFeo said.

If students are caught cheating, proctors write a note on the test and give it to the student’s teacher who will pursue disciplinary action. The Code of Conduct states that the first cheating offense results in a 50% grade on the assignment and one Saturday detention. Any further offenses result in a 0% on the assignment and two Saturday detentions.

“If students are caught cheating (because they are) caught under pressure, we want them to learn from their mistakes,” Bankert said. “We want students to learn and grow.”

Faith Zantua can be reached at [email protected].