Planning with a purpose: Student Council and Key Club prepare for Mini-THON

___________________

By Bailey Kreszswick, Staff Reporter Quick Gateway runs, nail appointments and midday doughnut snacks are all ways Conestoga students can support Mini-THON this year. Mini-THON is a smaller version of Penn State University’s THON, which involves a 46-hour dance marathon held in February. Conestoga will host a Mini-THON on March 24 to help raise money...

By Bailey Kreszswick, Staff Reporter

Quick Gateway runs, nail appointments and midday doughnut snacks are all ways Conestoga students can support Mini-THON this year.

Mini-THON is a smaller version of Penn State University’s THON, which involves a 46-hour dance marathon held in February. Conestoga will host a Mini-THON on March 24 to help raise money for Four Diamonds, an organization that supports pediatric cancer. The money will go toward helping families afford meals, housing and medical costs for their children, along with providing money for cancer research.

“I know a lot of people that participate in Penn State’s THON, but I think it’s really cool that we get to make a smaller version (and) still have the same purpose,” said sophomore Sydney Schwartz, who is on the attendance committee and promotes the event.

Conestoga’s Mini-THON is a four-hour event in the school gymnasium. The night starts off with a performance by the marching band, followed by dancing, games, crafts and more.

“It’s a super fun evening and there’s usually something for everyone. If you’re a quiet person, there (are) quiet activities. If you like to be very active, there (are) active activities,” said Key Club adviser Allison Long.

The Student Council and Key Club contribute to the organization of the event. Beyond the on-campus event, they work with restaurants and businesses to raise more money during February and March. Students perform different roles and work as a team to plan the event.

“Overall, we have the Mini-THON committee, and (we) separate it into different (jobs) like registration (and) food advertising. We all work off each other. Registration and advertising go well together because they need to get the word out and are part of the group,” Schwartz said.

The last three events have been more difficult to plan due to the pandemic. In 2020, the event was canceled, and in 2021, it was held virtually. However, in 2022, they had a record-breaking number of students attend the event.

“It’s a lot easier to plan this year since we’re fully back in-person, and we can get more organizations or companies to help us,” Schwartz said.

Based on popular demand, the Mini-THON committee, along with Long and Student Council adviser Elizabeth Gallo, decide which restaurants and businesses to hold fundraisers with.

“It’s mostly restaurants, but we’re trying to be a little creative with some of them coming up in the next month or so,” Long said.

Tickets are sold during lunches, and the first 250 people to sign up will receive a free T-shirt. Those who cannot attend can support by purchasing a meal at select local restaurants, making an appointment at select nail spas or buying small items at school. Students may also send money directly through DonorDrive, a website that the Mini-THON committee uses to raise money, as well as cash donations at the registrations table.

“It’s just nice to see all different types of students coming together for a great cause,” Long said.

Bailey Kreszswick can be reached at [email protected]

© 2022 Spoke.News. All rights reserved.