Off the screens and onto hobbies

___________________

By Juliana Yao, Staff Reporter Between eons spent perfecting English essays and allocating hours after school daily for sports practice, it is almost impossible to find time for low-stakes activities as a high school student. However, by engaging in these ventures, students can reduce the stress that comes with school and allow for self-improvement and...

By Juliana Yao, Staff Reporter

Between eons spent perfecting English essays and allocating hours after school daily for sports practice, it is almost impossible to find time for low-stakes activities as a high school student. However, by engaging in these ventures, students can reduce the stress that comes with school and allow for self-improvement and confidence.

Hobbies like drawing, hiking and baking are enjoyable activities that we do in our free time. Along with serving as a fun pastime, they can also reduce stress levels. A study conducted by Matthew Zawadzki in the Annals of Behavioral Medicine showed that engaging in leisurely activities yielded less stress and lower heart rates for participants. Hobbies can be an important factor in reducing burnout and promoting overall well-being.

An important benefit of hobbies is the sense of accomplishment that comes with developing a new skill. Recently, I learned how to crochet. I found that it was easy to get the hang of, and quickly became immersed in the rhythmic and repetitive actions. While it was a pleasant experience itself, having a physical product of my work through the finished stuffed animals also instilled a feeling of pride in me. For long-term projects, such as growing your own plants or learning a language, this effect would be magnified.

Hobbies can also be a way to connect with and meet new people. Joining a club or getting into an online group for a hobby can provide community and social connections. Forming meaningful relationships with people with similar interests is a greatly enriching experience to add with the hobby itself. As a study published in the Journal of Child and Family Studies discovered, engagement in hobbies led to better peer functioning and more social opportunities among young teenagers.

Even without these advantages, hobbies allow you to become a more interesting person. Whether it be when you are introducing yourself to someone or while writing a college application, being an avid photographer or chef can make you more intriguing to others. By having interests outside of school and work, your personality can have greater depth and you can become more well-rounded in your pursuits.

Despite the numerous benefits, some may be hesitant to pick up a hobby in fear of the time and resources required. It is crucial to note that hobbies are merely pastimes that can be personalized to individual needs and schedules. Furthermore, there are a wide variety of hobbies calling for varying levels of commitment. If you have a tight schedule, consider entertaining a hobby that doesn’t demand a large time investment, such as cooking or baking.

As for hobbies that don’t break the bank — activities like coloring, journaling, learning magic tricks and reading — provide relaxation and a chance to learn. Additional hobbies include the mastery of coding, painting, editing videos, games and calligraphy. Exercising even for just a short period of time results in a large range of physical and mental gains. Going to the gym, running and yoga are just a few examples.

Of course, these are only some options of hobbies that people can enjoy. No matter what interests you have, trying something new will bound to have positive impacts on your well-being and life. Whenever you are thinking of picking up your phone, consider picking up a hobby instead.

Juliana Yao can be reached at [email protected].

© 2022 Spoke.News. All rights reserved.