Juniors form knitting, crocheting club, chapter of Warm Up America! foundation

___________________

By Joanna Harris, Staff Reporter Warm Up America is a club recently formed by juniors Raegan Kelly and Peyton Harrill. The club is an affiliate of Warm Up America!, a nonprofit organization that provides knitted and crocheted blankets, clothing and accessories to those in need across the country. With over 30,000 volunteers, the WUA foundation...

By Joanna Harris, Staff Reporter

Warm Up America is a club recently formed by juniors Raegan Kelly and Peyton Harrill. The club is an affiliate of Warm Up America!, a nonprofit organization that provides knitted and crocheted blankets, clothing and accessories to those in need across the country.

With over 30,000 volunteers, the WUA foundation has made over 1 million donations to a variety of social service agencies that have benefited from the effort. Inspired by their work, juniors Raegan Kelly and Peyton Harril recently formed the Warm Up America club, an affiliate of the nonprofit. They founded the organization to be unique because they accept a large variety of items including blankets, clothing and accessories, which are donated to those in need across the country.

“We have our members make the crochet and knitted items. And then at the end of the year, we’ll collectively give those to the organization. And that just benefits different types of people in need,” Harrill said.

Members of the Warm Up America club meet once a month to spend time together working on various projects. Hot chocolate and snacks are set up, and students have the opportunity to be productive in a lively environment. The club has held two meetings thus far and received completed hats, gloves and scarves, as well as squares for blankets.

“For beginners it was perfect because you could just donate squares, but for more advanced people, they could do whatever they want. It was a really good way to let everyone of all skill types join,” Kelly said.

Freshman Danielle Douglas started crocheting and knitting when she was in seventh grade. Douglas saw the club as an opportunity to get back into an activity she en- joys while creating a positive impact on the community.

“I’d like to contribute a couple of squares towards a blanket,” Douglas said.

Kelly and Harrill express their ambitions for the club as one that can provide a lively and supportive space for its members. They also hope that through their efforts they can contribute many knitted and crocheted items to the Warm Up America foundation.

“We hope that everyone has maybe one or two projects by the end of the year. And since it’s our first year, from then we’ll expand and then maybe have more set or definite goals,” Harrill said.

The impact of the Warm Up America club will continue expanding to its full potential with the support of its Conestoga community. Interested students can get involved by talking to Harrill, Kelly or a club member to join the Schoology group and attend meetings. Members can bring their own supplies, and extra yarn and hooks will be provided.

“It means a good amount because I (can) do something I enjoy”, Douglas said. “And I get to help other people, which is something I care about.”

Joanna Harris can be reached at [email protected].

© 2022 Spoke.News. All rights reserved.