Senior internship process launches

___________________

By Tanisha Agrawal, Staff Reporter For the past three years, COVID-19 pandemic restrictions made it difficult for some seniors to find internships to round out their high school careers. However, this year, students and faculty are optimistic that finding ideal internships will be easier.  The senior internship process is carried out in two phases. Phase...

By Tanisha Agrawal, Staff Reporter

For the past three years, COVID-19 pandemic restrictions made it difficult for some seniors to find internships to round out their high school careers. However, this year, students and faculty are optimistic that finding ideal internships will be easier. 

The senior internship process is carried out in two phases. Phase I launched on Jan. 5, enabling all 560 seniors to begin reflecting on their interests and reaching out to companies under the guidance of community and volunteer services coordinator Jeanne Braun. 

But, before seniors dive into their internships, Braun has critical advice to offer. 

“Try to think more broadly (about internship hunting). Have a plan B. The internship doesn’t have to be something you plan to major in; it can be something you are interested in. Take these four weeks to learn something you have always wanted to learn about,” Braun said. 

With fewer COVID-19 pandemic restrictions this year, Braun believes that students will have more opportunities than last year to find internships. However, coming off the pandemic, some workspaces may only offer positions online or through a hybrid model. 

“An online (internship) would be preferred because it will be easier to handle the internship, school and my job, which takes up to 25 hours a week,” senior Cherise Chettiar said. 

Last year, students had the option to enroll in EduCare, a four-week paid online course for business and management, as an alternative to a traditional internship. Braun is offering the program to this year’s seniors, as well, for those who would prefer to not have an in-person internship. 

By March 24, students will submit their internship proposals, wrapping up Phase I. 

During Phase II, students will complete their internships, which take place from May 8 to June 2.  

Seniors like Juliana Urbina, who plans to pursue biomedical engineering in college, hope to gain work experience to serve as a practical first step into their field. 

“I’ve been working for the past couple of years at a store or a restaurant, but now I just want to see how the actual workforce of my field is,” Urbina said.

Braun has been the senior internship adviser for 8 years. Her biggest piece of advice to seniors when it comes to finding their internships is to get started now.

“Think about it now; reach out now. The key is to be ahead and not wait until the last minute. I want you to think broadly and search for an internship that interests you. Chip away with it as you go,” Braun said. 

As the senior internships hunt warms up, students like Nathan Baker are grateful for the opportunities they may get to experience as they round out their time at Conestoga.

“I am glad that we have the opportunity (to end high school with an internship) because I know a lot of other schools don’t do it anymore,” Baker said. “It’s so much better than just sitting in school for the last month.”

Tanisha Agrawal can be reached at [email protected].

© 2022 Spoke.News. All rights reserved.