Potential state-wide gas price decrease

___________________

By Lizzie Sun, Staff Reporter Pennsylvania has the highest gas tax in the nation, averaging 61.1 cents per gallon. Although Pennsylvania does not have one of the highest gas prices, it is still above the national average by 29 cents. A recently-introduced Senate bill hopes to help ease these figures by lowering two central factors...

By Lizzie Sun, Staff Reporter

Pennsylvania has the highest gas tax in the nation, averaging 61.1 cents per gallon. Although Pennsylvania does not have one of the highest gas prices, it is still above the national average by 29 cents. A recently-introduced Senate bill hopes to help ease these figures by lowering two central factors for gas prices.

Senate Bill 35 passed with a vote of 29-19 in the Pennsylvania state Senate on Jan. 11. Its objective is to stop the gas tax from increasing from 57.6 cents to 61.6 cents and the diesel tax from rising from 74.1 cents to 78.5 cents in 2023. 

Additionally, the bill would set the average wholesale price for gas at $2.99, 18 cents lower than the state’s average in 2022. This bill, currently in examination in the House of Representatives, would reduce the current gas prices.

“They (cheaper gas prices) will be really helpful because I drive a lot,” said Yun Shin Park, a parent of a student at Beaumont Elementary. “I drive on a daily basis for my work and fill up a full tank once a week.”

The gas tax funds Pennsylvania’s infrastructure. With the gas tax capped, the state will lose around $200 million in state funds, and programs the government funds will be negatively affected, according to the secretary of the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation. 

“Every policy would have a trade-off, so one potential decision doesn’t mean it’s necessarily the best or the most optimal,” said AP Economics teacher Justin Davey. “For example, if you start to pay less for gas, you’re gonna have to pay more to get your tires fixed because the infrastructure on the highway isn’t going to be as good.” 

The COVID-19 pandemic and the Russia-Ukraine War contribute to the sharp fluctuation of gas prices. The average fuel cost per gallon in Pennsylvania rose dramatically during the pandemic, reaching a record high of $5.07 on June 12, 2022.

“When the (COVID-19 pandemic) restrictions ease and return to daily travel routines, demand for gas rapidly gets back to normal,” Davey said. “Producers simply weren’t able to just open the taps back up and keep up with this demand placing upward pressure on the price.”

While this bill may result in a $200 million loss for the state government, it will help alleviate the burden on families, as intended by bill sponsor Senator Wayne Langerholc Jr. of the 35th District, Serving Cambria, Centre and Clearfield Counties. 

Senior Bella Rowe drives to school every day and feels as though the bill would positively affect people’s lives.

“I think it would help people be able to get gas at a more affordable price,” Rowe said. “They won’t have to sacrifice other things in their life for other necessities.”

Lizzie Sun can be reached at [email protected].