Tredyffrin, Easttown townships ban single-use plastic bags

___________________

By Shrija Krishnan, Staff Reporter Single-use plastic bags will soon be a waste of the past for T/E residents. Both the Tredyffrin and Easttown townships passed ordinances banning single-use plastic bags in 2022 under the Environmental Rights Amendment of the Pennsylvania Constitution.  Tredyffrin’s Ordinance No. HR-454 passed in September 2022 and prohibits the use of...

By Shrija Krishnan, Staff Reporter

Single-use plastic bags will soon be a waste of the past for T/E residents. Both the Tredyffrin and Easttown townships passed ordinances banning single-use plastic bags in 2022 under the Environmental Rights Amendment of the Pennsylvania Constitution. 

Tredyffrin’s Ordinance No. HR-454 passed in September 2022 and prohibits the use of single-use plastic carry-out bags, single-use plastic straws and polystyrene food containers by commercial establishments. It will go into effect on March 19.

Easttown’s Ordinance No. 451-22 passed in June 2022 and solely disallows the commercial use of single-use plastic carry-out bags. It went into effect on Jan. 1.

The nonprofit organization Pennenvironment first approached townships in the Greater Southeast Philadelphia area before the COVID-19 pandemic as a part of its “Zero Waste Campaign,” advocating for ordinances banning single-use plastic. The Tredyffrin Environmental Advisory Council polled residents in February 2020 and found that locals were highly in favor of an initiative, as well. 

Members of the Easttown Environmental Advisory Council subsequently conducted a survey of 96 local businesses in Easttown, which revealed that the business community was supportive of the initiative, as well. 

While support from the community was imperative, Cara Rash, Chair of the Easttown Environmental Advisory Council, credits the state election as the major impetus for the ordinances’ passings.

“If there was a change in party from the (state) election, there was chatter that this ban on (plastic) bans could be put back into place,” Rash said. “That was a major push these past 10 months to try and get things done.”

The Easttown Board of Supervisors voted unanimously in favor of the ordinance, and the Tredyffrin Board of Supervisors voted to pass the ban 5-1. Tredyffrin Supervisor Sharon Humble voted against the proposal, noting that plastic can be repurposed, while other substances which pollute green spaces are of more immediate concern. 

Some residents have voiced concern over the paper alternatives businesses are expected to provide for 15 cents in place of single-use plastic, noting manufacturing paper is a water and energy-intensive process. Rash believes that paper is not the perfect solution and is glad that the ordinance requires alternative bags to be made of 40% post-consumer recyclable material in addition to being compostable. This alleviates them from waste streams, unlike single-use plastic bags.

Commercial establishments in the T/E area are expected to begin phasing out single-use plastic bags over the course of the next few months. Signage encouraging residents to bring reusable bags and listing paper alternatives is available to businesses on both townships’ websites and through the Berwyn-Devon Business Association. 

According to Rash, both townships’ ultimate hope is for residents to bring their own grocery bags when they shop, eliminating the need for establishments to provide paper alternatives. Senior Katie Hymel, president of the student-led environmental organization Greening ’Stoga Task Force, hopes the ban will encourage students and residents to be green in other aspects of their lives.

“If they’re not using plastic when they’re going grocery shopping, maybe they’re not using plastic water bottles; maybe they’ll feel more encouraged to buy a reusable water bottle,” Hymel said. “I think this will help the community be more reusable as a whole — not just with their grocery bags.” 

Shrija Krishnan can be reached at [email protected].