Testing Days: Here to stay!

___________________

By Maya Shah, Beats Editor Everyone understands the frantic scramble that is test day. Whether you are rushing to review flashcards, reading through your notes, or having a friend quiz you, there never seems to be enough time to prepare. Luckily, with the continued implementation of assessment days, students can no longer have as many...

By Maya Shah, Beats Editor

Everyone understands the frantic scramble that is test day. Whether you are rushing to review flashcards, reading through your notes, or having a friend quiz you, there never seems to be enough time to prepare. Luckily, with the continued implementation of assessment days, students can no longer have as many assessments on a single day. Although the policy was originally implemented last school year, department-based assessment days have seen stricter enforcement into the 2022-2023 school year. Currently, world language and English test on days one and four, math and electives on days two and five, and social studies and science on days three and six. This dispersal of testing not only reduces stress but also allows students to better organize their time and more effectively make use of it.

As assessments become more spread out, students can prioritize studying for ones that occur earlier. This can help improve time management, a vital skill to develop regarding study habits. As recommended by Purdue University in their tips for better time management, although it may be a difficult skill to master, focusing on one thing at a time helps improve overall studying efficiency. Instead of studying for three assessments at the same time, students can now dedicate more time to each class. 

Testing for too long in a day can also contribute to a sense of mental fatigue. A study by the American Psychological Association found that after students participated in testing for three or more hours, they reported unusually high levels of fatigue. While this may not have a negative effect on test scores, it can impair a student’s ability to learn for the rest of the day. As a result, students will not be achieving their fullest potential in other classes, creating a less effective use of class time. 

Some argue that by extending the period of time over which students have assessments, stress is simultaneously prolonged. However, this prolonged time period is precisely the benefit of implementing testing days in the first place. While students may still feel stressed, testing on different days guarantees all the stress will not accumulate in a single day, which can be overwhelming. According to the Mayo Clinic, spreading out your work and studying is a recommended way to reduce test anxiety and stress, stating, “It’s much better to study a little bit over time than cramming your studying all at once.” With assessments spread over multiple days, students do not have to cram for their tests in one night, alleviating this pressure. 

In order for testing days to have the desired effect, it is essential that we adhere to the dates and guidelines provided by the school district. If only some teachers follow the test schedule, it could result in students having even more assessments within one day. While there may be certain days where it seems ineffective, we all must work together to ensure that testing days achieve their full potential. 

Maya Shah can be reached at [email protected].