Fresh feet: Boys lacrosse bounces back after rough start to season

By Brianna Fan, Staff Reporter

After reaching the quarterfinals for the state championship last season, the Conestoga boys’ lacrosse team had set high standards for the 2022 season. During their first game against the Gilman School, one of their key players, Peter Detwiler, along with five other starters, got injured. 

“I think we were all kind of upset because we didn’t want to see some really key players go down, but I think it was a next man up mentality, and we got through it. Some people rose to the occasion,” said Will Preston, one of the senior captains.

Given the number of players out due to injury, many of the underclassmen took on the responsibility of filling those spots. 

“Me, Luke Montanye, Adrien Grove and Clif Hawkins (are the underclassmen)—we all played an integral role in the team, especially with Adrien and Clif on the offensive side of the ball with all the offensive injuries we have had,” said sophomore Charlie Newhall. 

This increase in playing time and game-time experience could benefit the team as the season progresses.

“The result is that the younger players get better, and when the injured players come back, we have a little more experience with the younger guys as well,” Bush said. 

The team has learned how to adapt to the addition of underclassmen on the field and the loss of their key players. Even though the injured players could not contribute on the field for the majority of the regular season, they continued to be active at practices and helped with plays on the sidelines. The coaches also made adjustments to accommodate the alteration in player personnel.

“We changed our schematics. My coaches and I, we coach our players to their talents and not use a scheme they have to learn no matter what. Since then, the guys have responded really well,” Bush said.

In the latter half of the season, they have thus far beaten Garnet Valley, whose team finished fifth in the state last year. This win attests to the flexibility of the players, the schematic changes the coaching staff has made and the leadership the injured players continue to show off the field.

“We started off slow, and we lost to some teams that we definitely could have beaten, but now I think we’re taking each game more seriously and working to improve our record,” Preston said. 

As the team approaches playoff season and the injured players start their return to the field, they hope to carry the persevering spirit cultivated throughout the regular season.  

“I think we have great team chemistry and great off-field attitudes. They’re student-athletes. They get the job done in the classroom, in the community, and on the field, so I really like this team in terms of their personality and players we have,” Bush said. “We have a great senior class, and hopefully we’ll have everyone ready for the playoffs.”

Brianna Fan can be reached at [email protected]