Field hockey coach opens yoga studio in Berwyn

By Grace Kuryan, Staff Reporter

Tejas Yoga Collective (TYC) is a new yoga studio in Berwyn, Pennsylvania. The goal of the studio is to uplift the community by offering a variety of classes all taught by trained instructors.

Regan Marscher, varsity field hockey coach and ’Stoga alumnus, created and runs the studio. Marscher lived in New Jersey for some time and was deeply rooted in a yoga community there. The studio she attended had a very welcoming and non-judgemental feeling. When she moved back to the T/E area, she hadn’t found that same feeling in a studio so she decided to create her own. In Nov. 2021, Marscher started to look for space, and on March 7, 2022 she opened her studio.

“It’s a small, intimate space; you feel like you’re in someone’s living room. It has a really warm feeling to it,” Marscher said.

The name of the studio is unique and carries a personal meaning to Marscher. Tejas is a Sanskrit word that means one’s inner fire or illumination. When Marscher was training to be a yoga instructor, the word was frequently used in a chant in which the students would take part. Marscher took a liking to the word, and now has it tattooed on her foot.

TYC  offers a variety of classes all taught by trained instructors. Amy Orcutt, ’Stoga’s varsity lacrosse coach, is an instructor at the studio. Orcutt has a passion for yoga and is the co-founder of her own yoga company, Working Wellness Yoga. Orcutt and Marscher are long-time friends; they attended Conestoga where they played lacrosse together.

“She (Marscher) always said it was a goal of hers to open a studio, and when she did, she immediately reached out to me and asked if I wanted to teach with her — and I said ‘Of course,’” Orcutt said. 

Marsher values that each instructor brings their own personality and passion to every class which is why she included the “collective” part of TYC’s name.The studio offers a variety of classes, one of them being specifically for  teens. When Marscher opened the studio, it had been an intention of hers to offer yoga for teens. 

“There’s so much stress on teens right now, and yoga is so good for relieving anxiety and helping with mental focus, even just to put the screen away for some time,” Marscher said.

Junior Lily Norton is planning on taking the teen yoga classes at TYC. Norton has done a small amount of yoga in prior years, but wants to do it more consistently. 

“When I saw that there was a teen yoga class, I thought that was perfect. It will definitely give me a chance to relax,” Norton said. 

Marscher wanted to accomplish her original goal of creating a comfortable space where anyone and everyone can come to practice yoga. 

“I’m really supportive and encouraging of the students who come in,” Marscher said. “I just hope this evolves into a community space where anyone could take yoga.”

Grace Kuryan can be reached at [email protected].