Wilson Farm Park given $1.025 million for renovation

By Aaron Wang, Staff Reporter

On Dec. 30, 2021, the Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources (DCNR) awarded Tredyffrin Township more than one million dollars for a renovation and rehabilitation project in Wilson Farm Park, matching the Township’s investment of a similar magnitude.

In 2019, Tredyffrin Township issued bonds (investments provided by governments, the profits of which may fund daily tasks and large projects), allocating a portion of the profits towards their project. In the two following years, the Township also applied for a grant from DCNR, requesting federal funds for its $2 million project. 

“When we were contemplating the bonds, we thought, ‘Wilson (Farm Park) was originally constructed (in) 2012,’ so we knew it was getting up there and things were starting to need to be replaced,” said Joseph DiRocco, Assistant Tredyffrin Township Manager and Finance Director. “We thought this was an opportunity to do that, and so that’s how we came to (our decision).” 

With projects starting in mid- to late-2022 and continuing for approximately one year, the Township plans to renovate the park’s amphitheater, picnic pavilions, play equipment and stormwater management systems. Additionally, a portion of the funds could potentially finance the construction of a spray park, walkways, pickleball courts, new water fountains and a dock near the pond. Because construction may intrude upon Wilson Farm Park’s wildlife, the projects will be coupled with plantings near the main entrance and dock area, along with more efficient stormwater management systems in impermeable regions.

“We’re very excited about this project (since) it’s been a few years in the making,” DiRocco said. “Wilson (Farm Park) is the crown jewel park of the Township, and so we are excited to see these improvements through and for everybody to enjoy them.” 

Improvements in water fountain condition could accompany developments in stormwater management. In Wilson Farm Park, water fountains provide athletes and passersby with refreshment; however, many complain about the quality of the water fountains and hope the grant could improve them.

“The (fountain) water tastes like metal and (the fountains themselves) don’t work half the time,” junior Brian Harrity said. “It (improving the quality of the water fountains) is one of the most useful things (the Township) can do.”

Additionally, developments in stormwater management could alleviate the park of many issues. From July to Sept. 2021, heavy rains bombarded both Tredyffrin and Easttown Townships. Due mainly to inefficient stormwater management, large puddles formed in Wilson Farm Park, ruining the experiences of many who used the area.

“In September, I saw that (the area around the basketball courts) was muddy and the drainage wasn’t so good: It couldn’t drain water fast enough,” freshman Weston Wang said. “I think (improving stormwater systems) was a good maintenance decision, since it can enhance the experience of people who use the park.”

Some hope the new facilities will rejuvenate the park. DiRocco especially values the project since he believes Wilson Farm Park is a cornerstone of the community.

Aaron can be reached at [email protected].