Super Bowl rundown: Lions and Bengals and Rams, Oh My

By Andrew Franceski, Staff Reporter

The 2022 NFL Playoffs were filled with overtime games, last second field goals and colorful characters. Super Bowl 56 was no different.

The Rams jumped out to a 7-0 lead midway through the first quarter as Odell Beckham Jr. caught a 17-yard pass from Matthew Stafford.

The Bengals answered with a field goal at the end of the first quarter to make the score 7-3.

With 12 minutes left in the second quarter Cooper Kupp caught the first of two touchdowns; an 11 yard pass from Stafford. The Rams attempted to put the game even farther out of reach with a two-point conversion attempt which failed.

With 5 minutes left in the second quarter running back Joe Mixon took the snap in Wildcat formation and threw a 6 yard pass to Tee Higgins to make the score at the half 13-10 Rams.

On the first play of the third quarter, Tee Higgins caught a 75-yard touchdown from Joe Burrow. On the catch, the referees missed a blatant facemask that allowed the touchdown to stand.

Each team traded field goals leaving the score at the end of the third quarter 20-16 Bengals.

The defenses buckled down for all of the fourth quarter until the final two minutes. The Rams got the ball back with six minutes left and executed a precision 79-yard drive capped by a 1 yard touchdown again to Cooper Kupp with 1:25 left in the game.

The Bengals failed to convert on a 4th-and-1 with 40 seconds left and the game was over. Your Los Angeles Rams are the Super Bowl LVI champions, 23-20.

Andrew Franceski can be reached at [email protected].