Remembering his legacy: Football team refurbishes Paul Teamer’s tombstone

The+football+team+stands+with+Head+Coach+Matt+Diamond+and+members+of+the+Legacy+Marker+Program+in+the+graveyard+of+the+First+Baptist+Church+in+Malvern.+This+photo+was+taken+before+they+began+refurbishing+Samuel+Paul+Teamer%E2%80%99s+grave.+
The football team stands with Head Coach Matt Diamond and members of the Legacy Marker Program in the graveyard of the First Baptist Church in Malvern. This photo was taken before they began refurbishing Samuel Paul Teamer’s grave.

By Julia Harris, Co-Sports Editor

The first principal and football coach of the Tredyffrin-Easttown School district, a World War I veteran, and the namesake of Teamer Field, Samuel Paul Teamer left a lasting legacy on the Tredyffrin-Easttown school district.  Teamer was the coach for 19 years (from 1913 to 1931) and the principal for 26 years (1914 to 1940). Teamer Field was created and dedicated to Samuel Paul Teamer in 1950, before Conestoga High School was even built.

Teamer passed away in 1940, and over time the memory of him and his contributions to the school district have diminished among members of the Tredyffrin-Easttown community. His tombstone has also gradually leaned and been worn down after years of not being properly kept. The football team partnered with the Legacy Marker Program to replace the tombstone and celebrate the life of Teamer. On May 2, the team gathered at Malvern Baptist Cemetery, where Teamer’s tombstone lies.

Junior Richard Diaz attended the event and expressed his appreciation. 

“This was a great experience to learn about and to help clean Paul Teamer’s tombstone with the football team, paying our respects to a past coach for the team and a veteran,” Diaz said. 

The day came to be when Vice President of the Conestoga Football Association Vincent DiMartini was contacted by the Legacy Marker Program, which restores headstones of the military from as far back as the Revolutionary War. The program had become aware of the state of Teamer’s tombstone. 

The first step to refurbish the tombstone was to re-dig out the base. Next, the team, with the help of the professionals, re-graveled and set the foundation. Finally, they lifted the tombstone head to clean and polish it. 

Head football coach Matt Diamond was proud of the respectful way his players acted and how they each took a part in the tombstone refurbishment. 

“I thought it was terrific. It was a beautiful day and a great civic responsibility where our kids learned to give back. The players did a wonderful job of following COVID procedures and were very respectful,” Diamond said. “They walked away with a much bigger understanding of who Samuel Paul Teamer was and we had a great turnout of young men to be there. I know the Legacy Marker Program and the Paoli Battlefield Foundation were so appreciative.” 

Once the tombstone was neat and clean, the team members, coaches, and professionals held a flag ceremony to commemorate Teamer’s contributions to the community and the world as a war veteran. One of Teamer’s wishes was to be buried on the battlefield, and the site was in fact where a small battle of the Revolutionary War took place. The team spread ashes around to honor Teamer and his wish.

“It fits so many of the things that are important to teach our players,” Diamond said. “You have a responsibility to give back to the community with a service project that helped us honor a World War I veteran, and it honestly helped us to learn more about people from our past that help make the tradition of Conestoga High School so excellent.”

Julia Harris can be reached at [email protected].