‘Stoga Picks: Valen-tunes to jam to

By Katherine Lee, Co-T/E Life Editor

Nav Manick, Sophomore

“How Long” by Charlie Puth

“The song is from a girl’s perspective of a guy cheating on her and basically it’s him admitting that he did cheat. I really like this song because it’s catchy, I like the beats to the song, and I can easily follow the lyrics in my head. It’s a song that I’ve been listening to for a while and it’s really relaxing and chill. I like listening to it when I study because, again, it’s very relaxing.”

Caitlin Hadjiliadis, Sophomore

“Kivotos” by Katy Garby 

“(The title of the song) means ark in Greek, as in like Noah’s Ark, and the song is saying that no matter what happens, you’re my ark, and I think it mentions floods, hence the Bible reference. I like the feel of the song; it’s upbeat, which is not something I listen to a lot, so it’s a good song to just dance along to. It’s a fun song; it makes me feel energetic. I like listening to it when I’m in the car or at work because it gets you up and moving. I drive with my dad a lot, so (Greek songs) are something that we can talk about.”

Amy Douglas, Junior

“Orange Colored Sky” by Nat King Cole

“The reason why I love this song is basically Nat King Cole is telling a story through it about how he was walking down the street and then he sees someone and then love just hit him almost like Cupid’s arrow struck him. And you hear it also with the brass section when he says, ‘Flash, bam, alakazam,’ so that’s the reason why I like it a whole lot. It’s the story that goes along with it and then the explosive sounds that also represent the feeling of love. The song is meaningful to me because I feel like it just represents pure love. It makes me think of cartoons with the big heart-eyed cartoon person and they just fall in love, and it always makes me happy when I’m hearing it, and I feel like that’s how love is kind of like. Whenever I’m relaxing I just put on that song and it makes me so happy. Whenever I turn on that song, all my negative emotions flow right out of me.”

Gloria Geng, Senior

“I Will Always Love You” sung by Whitney Houston

“The song is actually a cover of Dolly Parton’s ‘I Will Always Love You,’ and Whitney Houston sings it in the movie “Bodyguard.” I think Whitney Houston brings more power to the vocals, and Dolly Parton sings it well, don’t get me wrong, but her voice is softer and more delicate, so Whitney Houston sings it with more power behind her voice and she can belt those notes. I’m not too familiar with the movie, but essentially there’s a bodyguard and a woman and they’re in love, but they can’t be together, so this is kind of like their parting song. I like it because I love trying to sing along with it and I really like the sentiment behind the song because I think it’s romantic that they’re putting their lover’s needs before their own even though they want to be together. (The song, and love songs in general) make me feel warm and fuzzy inside. I think the words in most love songs are relatable to anyone even if you’re single or if you’ve just gone through a breakup, like everyone can relate to the idea of being in love. You don’t have to be in a romantic relationship to be able to relate.”

Lukas Metz-Topodas, Freshman 

“Ain’t No Mountain High Enough” by Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell

“It’s basically a love song about how there’s nothing that can keep the two people apart. It uses mountains and valleys and rivers to show that there’s nothing that will separate them. I like that it’s an older song, but it’s upbeat and it’s kind of similar to songs today. I kind of don’t see it as a love song as much as other people might, so I like listening to it when I’m wanting to listen to a happier song. (When I listen to the song), it sort of reminds me of mostly my parents because their relationship was kind of similar to this song because there was a lot that was sort of keeping them away, but they were able to stay together.”